Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Competitive Dwarf Fortress  (Read 1849 times)

growthmetal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Competitive Dwarf Fortress
« on: January 08, 2010, 11:24:52 pm »

Has there been any attempt to codify rules for Dwarf Fortress competitions?  If not here is a proposal:

200ED: Compete to produce a fortress populated by at least 200 Ecstatic dwarves in as few dwarf-days as possible

Allowed actions:
- Modifying init.txt
- Modifying worldgen parameters
- Taking advantage of exploits (such as decorating stacks of arrows)

Disallowed actions:
- Savescumming
- Generating the same world twice and digging up the map in advance of fortress formation to see what minerals are there
- Using rule-modifying software such as StoneSense

Unsure:
- Restarting at the same fortress site before embark, especially to get a better set of dwarves (esp. ones with desirable preferences)

Note: This goal becomes easier to achieve if you put your fortress population cap well over 200 (so you don't have to get every last dwarf ecstatic.)  The version of the game used should probably be v0.28.181.40d (the one on the DF homepage); this will make it easier to compare accomplishments.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Competitive Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 12:10:29 am »

We had two dwarf fortress masters competitions. They were broader in goal, but were similar to this. Check the community stories forum for them. I'll probably start a 3rd once I'm done with Morul.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 11:43:14 pm »

Bleh. I can't put up with the lag of 200+ dwarves. I would gladly do 100, though.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 05:32:02 am »

Eh Stonesense not allowed? I can understand disallowing the use of the hidden tile revealing part of it, and there may be little use for it... but sometimes I like to see how my fort looks outside of ASCII.
Don't go drowning your boss for telling you to work.

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 05:37:00 am »

Eh Stonesense not allowed? I can understand disallowing the use of the hidden tile revealing part of it, and there may be little use for it... but sometimes I like to see how my fort looks outside of ASCII.

IIRC, 'Stonesense' = isometric visualizer, 'Stone Sense' = tile-revealing utility.

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 05:44:53 am »

I didn't know there was a revealing program called Stone Sense honestly.
Don't go drowning your boss for telling you to work.

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 06:04:22 am »

Here are links to two (three!) separate attempts to play Dwarf Fortress competitively.

Dwarf Fortress Masters Competition Round 1
Dwarf Fortress Masters Competition Round 2
Dwarf Fortress Master's Challenges

I think the rules in there are a pretty decent set. Vanilla DF, no utilities, no savescumming, etc. Using exploits in the game perfectly allowed and encouraged. Solifuge had conduct caveats, I allowed players to restart the challenge afresh as much as they want.

As you might notice, host interest is an important part in making sure that the games actually run at all, seeing as how we're still waiting for the judges to start judging maps on the DFMC Round 2. And that I just recently declared the winners in my own challenge.

It was fun while it lasted. If there's a more dedicated person to host these things, that'd be great.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.