Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Axes out of obsidian?  (Read 1251 times)

Drug_unit

• Bay Watcher
  • he needs the golden gauntlets to pimp slap whit
    • View Profile
Axes out of obsidian?
« on: January 05, 2010, 07:55:37 am »

As the topic name suggests i wanto know how do mod obsidian into making axes as well as swords.
Dwarven statistics: When something is considered unlikely, the presence of dwarves increases the likelyhood of the unusual event occuring.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Besides, it's somehow enjoyable to think of groundhogs stacked to the very top of a cage and flooding out to kill.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Axes out of obsidian?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 08:41:39 am »

Go into the weapon raws and add [CAN_STONE] to Battle Axes or any weapon look at short swords

Drug_unit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 09:01:52 am »

When i try do make it out of stone it says it needs wood logs wich is kinda ironic because i need the axe since i forgot do bring one with me on embark.
Dwarven statistics: When something is considered unlikely, the presence of dwarves increases the likelyhood of the unusual event occuring.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Besides, it's somehow enjoyable to think of groundhogs stacked to the very top of a cage and flooding out to kill.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 09:07:49 am »

Buy the wood from traders :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 09:16:17 am »

make a custom reaction

[REACTION:STONE_AXE_MAKING]
[NAME:make stone axe]
[SMELTER]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_BATTLE_AXE:STONE:(any stone type)]

I think thats how it goes, it will require re-gen unless you just edit lets say coppar bar making to make a stone axe just remoe the [FUEL] tag and change the requirements and product then once you have your axe change that reaction back to the origonal

Drug_unit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 09:22:35 am »

Ehh regen sounds kinda bad idea since my fort is doing well even tough i have no wood
Guess i have do wait til the traders come  ;D

GENERATION 29:

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 10:35:28 am »

When i try do make it out of stone it says it needs wood logs wich is kinda ironic because i need the axe since i forgot do bring one with me on embark.

Yup the hard coded production of stone weapons requires 1 log and 1 obsidian, I guess they figure the log is used as a handle so you don't cut yourself when you use it.

In your case it might be worth looking for some metal ore to convert into bars and make an axe that way (if you have coal or charcoal or a magma forge) as metal axes don't need a log for the handle (yes I know, don't ask).

TOMzors

• Bay Watcher
  • Edirzuden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 10:49:35 am »

you could just edit an existing reaction to get one... bit cheeky but it does work :)
(sometimes, the child's cries for help can still be heard on the empty tunnels of this fallen fortress)

If only it showed Dwarf Fortress... oh yeah! it does

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 09:15:59 pm »

you could just edit an existing reaction to get one... bit cheeky but it does work :)

yes it does lol and I've mentioned that before lol, guess im just bad at writing no doubt

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 10:11:00 pm »

The reason the [CAN_STONE] weapons need a log, while metal weapons don't, is because the obsidian short swords are actually based on Mayan war club/sword weapons, which were built like this.  That is just part of the tag so it carries over onto any weapon made with that tag.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 11:13:58 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macahuitl
This is the weapon you make when you make obsidian swords, a fragile but deadly sharp weapon.
Essentially a flat club turned into a double edged blade made for swinging without without any abilitys.

Logically the log makes sense for any other item you could possibly use as well, Hammers and Axes both have long handles, and spears are only tipped with the head.
For this reason I've made all weapons except for the crossbow and picks able to be made from stone. (because picks cannot be made from stone it seems, which I find odd)
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.