Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting fires with liquid fire  (Read 909 times)

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
Starting fires with liquid fire
« on: January 05, 2010, 02:22:19 pm »

It is possible! Not without some modding, of course. I added the following to the fire snake entry in creature_subterranean.txt:
[EXTRACT_FIXED_TEMP:14000]
[EXTRACT_BOILING_POINT:15000]
and now liquid fire is actual liquid fire. Maybe some of you will find this useful.

Attention: if you just empty the vial in adventure mode or drop/throw the liquid, it won't do anything (the poured-out liquids disappear instantly), but you can put the substance inside any flammable container, then drop/throw it where you want fire to be.

Alas, I haven't found a way to spill the liquid in dwarf mode - designating it for dumping does not help.

EDIT: Turns out there's now a problem with containing it in your backpack. When in vials, it is not as dangerous, but still heats up the container over time and can eventually burn it. The vials themselves are unharmed.

This can be countered to a certain level - the heavier the container, the more slowly will it be heated, so filling it with some junk does help. Gotta also reduce the fixed temperature to a more reasonable level (12000) and maybe mod in some heat-resistant materials (i.e. with very high SPEC_HEAT)...

EDIT2: Found a solution on keeping yourself safe from the heat. Just put your liquid fire in a container that is made of a FIXED_TEMP material. AFAIK, there isn't one in vanilla DF, but I modded the GCS silk to have that. Nice because it justifies said silk's ridiculously high value. Also the side effect will be that all giant cave spider silk items are now magmaproof.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 03:08:15 am by Murphy »