Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "No man, that grass looks suspicious."  (Read 1297 times)

dAGNARUS

• Bay Watcher
  • Eventually, every fortress ends in magma floods.
    • View Profile
"No man, that grass looks suspicious."
« on: January 05, 2010, 01:22:42 pm »

Recently, all of a sudden my dwarves cancel hal of their designations or constructions with the message "Urist McDwarf cancels job: Dangerous terrain".
I figured that it was because I was making them build a bridge over some magma, but they do it on all my other fortresses as well. Is this a known problem and is there any way to fix this?
Dwarf Fortress: Where it is perfectly acceptable to make your civilization a living hell, for no reason.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: "No man, that grass looks suspicious."
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 01:40:34 pm »

It's something they do if there are problems. are they in water? sometimes the path they had chosen becomes under water 4 deep and they then decide that they are aquaphobes.

I can't remember if it's the same message when they notice groundhogs, but noticing an animal has the same effect whether or not the message is the same.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 01:45:05 pm »

This is the message you get when either the job site or some point along the path the dwarf is taking to the job site has become submerged in water or magma.  Check for unexpected flooding of your work areas.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 02:12:45 pm »

It's something they do if there are problems. are they in water? sometimes the path they had chosen becomes under water 4 deep and they then decide that they are aquaphobes.

I can't remember if it's the same message when they notice groundhogs, but noticing an animal has the same effect whether or not the message is the same.

Nah, if they get scared you see Urist Soandso cancels task: Interrupted by Crittername
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 02:18:59 pm »

Did you drain magma and are now trying to build over the drained area? Magma in a pipe regenerates and sends up these cool plumes that splash all over the place and can send that message. If you are working just above the level that you have pumped down to, dwarves have to work very quickly and carefully to avoid getting roasted.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 02:27:19 pm »

Dont mind me, just being smart enough to search it on wiki.  ::)
http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Dangerous_terrain

dAGNARUS

• Bay Watcher
  • Eventually, every fortress ends in magma floods.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 03:11:53 pm »

Well, I modded my game so that my dwarves are amphibious and they can swim underwater, but this also happens at sites without any magma or water whatsoever. Is there any known glitch that causes this?
Dwarf Fortress: Where it is perfectly acceptable to make your civilization a living hell, for no reason.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 03:16:50 pm »

Well, I modded my game so that my dwarves are amphibious and they can swim underwater, but this also happens at sites without any magma or water whatsoever. Is there any known glitch that causes this?

Probably the mod makes the dwarves path through places that they otherwise couldn't. In this case, they're probably pathing through the magma, and then discover that the path is dangerous.

So, I would argue the known glitch is that you modded your dwarves in a manner that Toady hadn't tested for.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 08:07:33 pm »

Ayup, modding dwarves to be amphibious or flying doesn't work; as soon as the dwarves notice they're in the water or three feet off the ground, they go "oh shit, this can't be right" and start sending error messages.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 08:09:14 pm »

Had this with my mod. There is no such thing as pathfinding underwater when doing jobs and such.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 08:14:13 pm »

Yeah- they won't drown now, but they'll still be aquaphobic.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei