Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting season  (Read 692 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Starting season
« on: October 16, 2007, 04:35:00 pm »

It might be nice to select what season we want to start in (and just fast-forward until that date is reached, before you embark).

On the other hand, unless there's a lot more penalties for being outside in the winter, I think most people would end up starting in the winter instead of the spring.

Hmm.

Any other starting parameters to tweak?

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting season
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 04:43:00 pm »

(Actually, while I'm on the subject of seasons, I don't think that winters are NEARLY nasty enough, at least in cold regions.  While extreme cold damages people now, blizzards should also make people move slower, and lower visibility.  In a real blizzard, going out to cut trees should be a completely ridiculous notion.  Even for a dwarf.  Damage should be hideous for humans and elves stuck out in the cold.  And eventually, once clothing is more sane, shouldn't a bundled-up person be weighed down like armor?  Winters in the far north/south should be good reasons to stay inside!)

[ October 16, 2007: Message edited by: Sowelu ]

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 09:23:00 pm »

Dwarves are lower to the ground ERGO less wind resistance in bad weather.
But I'd say winters are pretty devious- did you miss the recent dev update about getting caught in a cold-snap and dying and then crumbling into ash?

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 10:38:00 pm »

Well, I think that was partially because the temperature was far, far below zero. Like, impossibly low for a temperate region. Still cool that it gets so cold trees die and you turn into a popsicle and break apart.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 02:21:00 pm »

Actually, I think the temperature was impossibly low, period, there.  The game's temperature scale goes below zero kelvin.  That can't happen until magic goes in (and I can't understand how it would work even then).

I think what I'm looking for in weather is for weather to just plain be more interesting.  Damage is just one of many things it can do.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 08:00:00 pm »

Sowel: Below kelvin is easy to conceptualize.  Just add extra "inertia" to the non-vibrating molecules, so that it takes extra heat to raise the temperature at all.  Just because this isn't possible with our physics doesn't mean the world of DF need be restricted as such...

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 08:31:00 pm »

I look at it this way, the object that is below zero kelvin in DF is actually not below zero kelvin, but acts like it to the world around it from some sort of means of forcing more thermal energy to flow into it than normally possible (likely through magic).