Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Use for Mechanics:  (Read 421 times)

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Use for Mechanics:
« on: March 25, 2008, 02:28:00 am »

Okay, I had a crazy idea poking around the Ocean Challenge thread, and I didn't see anything like it in the bloats, although I know Toady has plans to give mechanics more love.

Manual construction winches or cranes. Requires a mechanism, a material, and a rope. Basically the same system on every well since the beginning of time. You build it over a channel, then either have a dwarf crank it or connect it to a power source with mechanisms, which would let it lift bigger items. Basically, it allows you to build certain structures beneath it. Of course, you're gonna need any construction to be supported, but you would be able to layer stone on the bottom of the river to form a dam. Or even better: lay a sealed chamber with a pump, then run an axle up to the surface and windmill-pump the place clear of bilgewater.

You could also let them serve as part of a mechanical lift apparatus to move dwarves and items to different Z-levels. They could be useful on cliffs for building a secure access to the top for personnel and supplies. (That might complicate pathing somewhat, but it'd be a very dwarfish setup!)

Ayes? Nays? Thrown rocks?

vanarbulax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Use for Mechanics:
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 02:37:00 am »

Aye aye I say! Cranes would be awesome, just the sort of thing which would add so much more flexibility in fortress design.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
Re: New Use for Mechanics:
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 04:25:00 am »

Throws a rock with Aye! written on it.

Realistically, the subset of items that can be supported and moved would probably have to be limited due to programming constraints. Moving structures has always been a pain in the arse to code.