Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: *NOT A BUG*[40d16] Issue with Obsidian farm and undesignatable floor *NOT A BUG*  (Read 728 times)

Knightmare

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I recently created an obsidian farm and, once complete, was not able to designate the floor to be channeled or made into stairs.  I was able to designate the actual obsidian blocks below as up ramps, but it did not remove the obsidian floor on the z level above the magma chamber.  Now I am stuck with a non-removable obsidian floor in my water chamber level.  Anyone seen this happen before or maybe someone can explain why it would happen if this isn't actually a bug?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 06:02:11 pm by Knightmare »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: [40d16] Issue with Obsidian farm and undesignatable floor
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 04:24:17 pm »

You used retractable bridges to drop water onto the magma, didn't you?

That design specifically calls for three Z-levels: one for the magma, one for the water, and one in between so that you can channel out the floor (either from above or by using ramps) for the next time you want to make obsidian. Evidently, you've decided to cut corners and, in doing so, have revealed exactly why that 3rd Z-level is necessary - you cannot remove the floor from underneath a building, and bridges count as buildings, even when retracted.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Knightmare

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 04:52:09 pm »

Excellent, thank you for the explanation of the problem.  I'm glad it something I did rather than a bug.  I wasn't going off any "plans" or anything, just using the limited knowledge I had about magma/water interaction.  Thanks again, time for V2.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 05:37:48 pm »

If it's all resolved, feel free to retitle the thread to "Not a bug" or something so that Toady doesn't have to read it.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile

...it could be considered a bug...
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, it could be...

Dwarves apparently think it's bad luck or something to channel where a bridge will go over...
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.