Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I Like Big Buttes and I Cannot Lie  (Read 2817 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I Like Big Buttes and I Cannot Lie
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2010, 04:08:05 am »

We told him he had to sing it and post it on youtube.

But yeah, it was awesome.

ShadowRun.  It's kinda like that.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 07:28:44 am »

well those bunny ears are well... err....

*adult content below*
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I know, isn't it fantastic?

Don't worry, I can never stop staring myself >w< It's a bit distracting.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 08:35:23 pm »

well those bunny ears are well... err....

*adult content below*
I know, isn't it fantastic?

Don't worry, I can never stop staring myself >w< It's a bit distracting.

The thing on the arm looks like a large nasty eyeball growing from her shoulder.....
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2010, 10:00:44 pm »

Ehh, boob-handling locks of hair, ehh.

Anyway, I'll add that more complex erosional features are a lot harder than they sound...but that can be said for everything in this game.

Basically, what happens now is a procedural fractal is used to generate the elevations, then random river beds are run with the caveat of running from the high mountains down to the seas.  Erosion is calculated for those random paths to make sure the rivers aren't going uphill, and then the real rivers are run and filled with water.

The results aren't terribly realistic because that isn't how (water) erosion works.  It works now by running things backwards, like "I want a river here, what does the terrain have to do to facilitate that?"

In order to support intuitive and dynamic water erosion features, like fjords, or rivers that aren't rather canned, Toady would have to implement something along the lines of this:

This would add dynamic geological features, and allow realistic things to happen, such as under-cutting by erosion, natural waterfalls with appropriate surrounding geology, and drainage systems of tributaries that look real.  That is the only way to do things properly in DF, because the idea is for complex structure to be emergent features.  Fjords might happen this way, but you're guaranteed fjords if an ad-hoc glacial erosion step was added before water erosion simulation to carve out the deep and steep gashes needed to create the feature.

I just did some speculative psuedo code, and it isn't pretty.  The numbers are pushing 180 billion tile-like objects to check for every loop of the sim (in the worst case I can think of with some rather poorly conceived code, but still).  If Toady plans to add plate tectonics and realistic volcanoes and the like, he'd need to rewrite the whole gen system anyway, so it isn't outside the realm of possibility to have realistic geography.

Without knowledge of the guts of the world gen code, it is hard to say with certainty how easy it would be for Toady to add this without rewriting the whole way it works.  I think it is likely he would have to, considering the manner in which rivers are made right now.  The system was designed from the ground up to deal with generating a fractal terrain, not an erosion sim.

On some level it is kind of a full blown Euler-based fluid simulation (as in the sediments moving, not necessarily the water itself), since the ideal solution is a world space populated by deposit "cubes" that are allowed to move around according to hardness, elasticity, cohesion, and erosional attributes, changing from solid rocks to sediments to rocks again and again.  Such a MASSIVE, and I mean MASSIVE undertaking might not even be within the realms of a desktop, even the best in the community.

Though he somehow manages to fit a whole world into a 5 MB file, so...who knows.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 04:17:43 pm »

I like big buttes and I cannot lie
You other miners can't deny
That when a hill crops up with a sheer cliff face
And a rubble pile at its base
You get sprung, wanna pick out that tuff
'Cause you notice that butte was bluffed
Deep in the plains uncaring
I'm hooked and I can't stop staring

...that was terrible.

It was actually the goddamned polar opposite of terrible.  Oh my god, that rules.

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 10:00:43 pm »

If terrible is south, then that is so North that it breaks the compass and goes into the fourth dimension.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 07:24:41 am »

If terrible is south, then that is so North that it breaks the compass and goes into the fourth dimension wall.

Fixed.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 01:39:24 pm »

I concur. Both of those were inspired and awesome. They should be the theme tunes of the new generation :D I'm going to copy and paste that Shadowrun into a permanent folder and then back it up onto my holy memory stick. Only the very finest things and necessities get a space on the data stick, so only 1 thing has been put on there in this entire year.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 11:16:47 pm »

only 1 thing has been put on there in this entire year.

Well, it is only the 3rd of January.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 02:38:12 am »

... you know what I mean.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 [2]