Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Occam's Razor: Elven Magic  (Read 1608 times)

Jurassiced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Occam's Razor: Elven Magic
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 10:41:00 am »

wel while this is true thats why there are dark and high eves the real differance is there interist in magic high elves being of the arcane and dark being of the night mabye necro related mabye not
POKHOMME http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=84 Race mod im working on.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 04:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ChaosFollowing:
<STRONG>

Holy crap.   :) No offense, but have you ever seen the real world? Now(and before the advent of industrialism), the earth is full of drought, flooding, hailstones larger than golf-balls, hurricanes, twisters, monsoons, deluges...and now and then, it even rains freaking fish.

If that's not bloody askew I don't know what is.</STRONG>

Natural climate change =/= Magically creating weather such as wind, rain, and heat. If you'd study weather and weather patterns across the world you'd know it all happens by itself, not because some guy yelled at the sky to make some wind. And if said guy does cause wind, the low pressure would change the pressure of surrounding areas, making unnatural weather patterns, resulting in calamity (such as drought, flooding, hailstones larger than golf-balls, hurricanes, twisters, monsoons, deluges)

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 07:19:00 pm »

quote:
And if said guy does cause wind, the low pressure would change the pressure of surrounding areas, making unnatural weather patterns, resulting in calamity (such as drought, flooding, hailstones larger than golf-balls, hurricanes, twisters, monsoons, deluges)

Why is that a bad thing to add to the game?

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 08:17:00 pm »

So, the elf druids and goblin shamans should not mess with the weather because it might upset the global weather system? Yes, (1) how do they know that, and (2) why would they care? (well, the elves might, though the dark elves would laugh all the way to the umbrella stand).
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 09:57:00 pm »

Toady could always use strange attractors and fractal based weather systems to properly simulate that.  Maybe tinkering with the weather WOULD cause worldwide disaster.  Maybe not.  But it wouldn't be arbitrary!  It'd have a reason to its madness.

ChaosFollowing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosfollowing.com
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 01:41:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>

Natural climate change =/= Magically creating weather such as wind, rain, and heat. If you'd study weather and weather patterns across the world you'd know it all happens by itself, not because some guy yelled at the sky to make some wind. And if said guy does cause wind, the low pressure would change the pressure of surrounding areas, making unnatural weather patterns, resulting in calamity (such as drought, flooding, hailstones larger than golf-balls, hurricanes, twisters, monsoons, deluges)</STRONG>

In a world full of natural calamaties, nobody would really notice a few artificial ones.

Pages: 1 [2]