Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Return of the 'many fluffy wamblers'  (Read 807 times)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
[40d] Return of the 'many fluffy wamblers'
« on: January 01, 2010, 04:57:23 pm »

So i've come across this bug/phenomenon again: non-[VERMIN_MICRO] vermin (specifically fluffy wamblers) being shown as a swarm. This time i didn't bring any cats, so i got a trapper to catch the 'swarm' for science. After being caught, it turned into a single fluffy wambler.

This leads me to believe that the bug isn't that wamblers are swarming, but that single wamblers are erroneously being displayed as being 'many fluffy wamblers'.

I'll add a save pre-catching inna minnit.

Edit: 'ere it is - http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1733
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 05:02:52 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Return of the 'many fluffy wamblers'
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 05:50:54 pm »

Hmm, I've also seen fluffy wambler swarms before, in a Good biome mountain area, forget the savagery though.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 02:48:31 am »

It's a known bug:

# 000465 □ [dwarf mode][creatures]   had "many fluffy wamblers" despite lack of MICRO tag

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 02:23:08 pm »

I've seen that, but hadn't checked tags, so I didn't know it was a bug.  It was highly entertaining when my fortress's cat got to the swarm - suddenly there was an explosion of fluffy wambler corpses everywhere.  Which is interesting, since it seems like it ought to've turned into a single fluffy wambler corpse.  Who knows.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 03:13:19 pm »

Maybe it actually WAS a swarm or large group of them. I may have seen a tile labelled many bats (the vermin) before. This was in an area that probably housed what would be the equivalent of a large swarm of bats in real life, with many thousands of them. They literally filled part of my hall near the entrance area at one point.

So, are you seeing alot of fluffy wamblers all over the place? I think this might be the key to this phenomenon.

For bats, it makes sense, but for fluffy wamblers..... I don't know...

Maybe watch your cats closely, see what happens when they attack a 'many fluffy wambler'. You said that you were seeing an explosion of wambler corpses, so I wonder if those are all from the same swarm or if they are individual.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 12:17:11 am »

Weird, i have had a cat attack a 'many fluffy wamblers' before and it made just one corpse. I made a bug report about it. (Thus the 'return' in the thread title)
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.