Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: animal farming  (Read 982 times)

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
animal farming
« on: December 30, 2009, 06:09:19 pm »

I wish I could make a room specially for the animals in my fort. A room where the animals could run around and make babies,a room where I could farm animals for their leather and meat. I tried making such a room,but the animals always run out whenever I try to add more animals to the room. I think a special kind of door animals could not cross no matter what would be nice. Right now there is the option to make doors unpassable by animals,but they can still sneak outside if a dwarf opens the door for them. It bugs me when there's animals running around all over my fort,I wish I could just keep them in one room ;_;

Or,if somehow we could make it so that the animals can breed in cages,that would be nice,too.

stuntedkind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: animal farming
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 06:21:44 pm »

Use restraints (ropes/chains). Animals asigned to restraints will still breed, and will stay in the room. They will still path, so stick the offspring in cages.

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 07:18:26 pm »

You could also throw them into a pit and stack some pet impassible doors to limit the escapes when you butcher or cage.

A true dwarven mechanic would set up an airlock system to seperate animals so one animal is accessable for butchery.

As for your suggestion of absolutely animal impassible doors I'd like to see a more detailed implementation that still keeps the unruly spirit that a dumb animal does as it likes.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 07:37:48 pm »

Playing an animal farm could be interesting...

Urist the Cow (tame), Miner has struck Microcline!

Oh, wait.

Nevermind.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 08:38:52 pm »

As for your suggestion of absolutely animal impassible doors I'd like to see a more detailed implementation that still keeps the unruly spirit that a dumb animal does as it likes.

Actually a dumb domesticated animal just stays ware it is IF its feed, for example most cows could knock over most of the fences currently used to contain them but they don't bother because theirs adequate food inside.  The whole concept of animals aggressively desiring to GO any ware is flawed, if at some point animals starving is introduced then it might be appropriate for them to try to escape but as it is now its just a terrible design flaw.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 10:23:17 am »

Remember: curiosity killed the cat.  No other animal really cares to explore.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 03:09:30 am »

You can use pit designations. Make a butchery room and seperate it from the rest of your fort by bridge. Between the bridge and the room make one or two pet-restricted doors. Put levers on both sides of the bridge and have an opening channeled out of the top of the room. Designate the animal pit on the open tile above and a tile adjacent to it. Build your butcher's shop in this room.

Be sure to channel under the bridge before building it to keep the animals from trying too hard to path out of the room.

Voila, a butchery that keeps your living animals entirely separate from the fort.

_________
Z1        |            |
_______|      o     |            o is open space, put your pit designation over it
_______              |
           |________|

Z0               ________             = is a drawbridge
                  |           |            X is a door, closed to pets
___     ___  _|           |   
___===___X_            |   <---  Butcher shop goes in here
                  |           |           
                  |_______|