Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Year  (Read 1084 times)

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
First Year
« on: December 27, 2009, 06:00:34 pm »

My fortress just reached it's second Autumn.  So far, the only caravan that's arrived was a Dwarf caravan, last autumn.  No humans or elves have been here yet.  My question is, if they haven't come yet, can I assume that they never will?  Or do they sometimes just take a few years?

EDIT:  Whoops, meant to put this in gameplay questions... not sure how to move it.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 06:02:58 pm by BodyGripper »
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Toxicles

• Bay Watcher
  • Kiss me I'm hazardous.
    • View Profile
Re: First Year
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 06:07:55 pm »

Generally, only the dwarves show up on year one.  The elves should show up spring on year 2, the humans the summer.
Erush Kolokol cancels eat: on fire.

tigger89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 06:51:06 pm »

I assume what BodyGripper meant was that spring and summer of the first year passed, the dwarven caravan came in autumn, then winter, spring and summer passed, and now the dwarven caravan has come again in the second autumn.  If nobody came on that second spring and summer, then I'd say that elves and humans probably do not have access to your fortress site. :\

You can check this before you embark by pressing [tab] on the embark screen, where you pick your location, and looking at your neighbors.

Kravick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 09:20:34 pm »

It might take longer than 2 years for the humans to show up.  I once had a game where the humans didn't show up until year 3 or 4.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 09:49:23 pm »

I've had plenty of games where it was many many years before the humans came, I think it has something to do with how much you have exported or something.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 09:56:15 pm »

EDIT:  Whoops, meant to put this in gameplay questions... not sure how to move it.
Move button at the bottom of the page.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 10:00:55 pm »

The only time I've ever had a several year delay in the arival of elves/humans has been due to the depot being blocked/not constructed or something killing a pack animal and scaring them off. Not saying that its impossible... just that its not happened in my experiences. More than likely you embarked somewhere that the elves and humans (and probably goblins) cant access.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 12:56:05 am »

Check what humans you have by hitting c (or maybe C) for civilizations.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 05:41:45 am »

Check what humans you have by hitting c (or maybe C) for civilizations.
That only shows civilisations you have discovered.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 10:28:21 am »

The elves ALWAYS show up the following spring, no matter how far away they are. Now THAT is dedication, I guess.

Seriously, I don't know exactly why the humans just about regularily don't show up or don't show up for many years in my games even though they CAN access my site and the embark shows them as one of the races that can get to my site.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 11:20:28 am »

It is possible you embarked on a location that has no access to other civilizations, which would mean that you would not know until they showed up.

On that note, it has actually taken humans quite some time before they arrive, and elves do ALWAYS seem to arrive on the second year.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 02:59:02 pm »

The elves ALWAYS show up the following spring, no matter how far away they are. Now THAT is dedication, I guess.

Seriously, I don't know exactly why the humans just about regularily don't show up or don't show up for many years in my games even though they CAN access my site and the embark shows them as one of the races that can get to my site.

YOU WILL TAKE OUR ROPE REED CLOTH!!!!!!!!!
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 07:01:53 pm »

Thanks, folks!  Right now it's the Spring after that, and an Elf caravan just showed up, definitively answering the question.   8)
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 09:10:42 pm »

I just had the humans not show up on the second summer for the first time ever. Which I thought odd. Then fall came around and I got, the caravan has bypassed your inacessable site...  *facepalm* a tree had grown up in front of a ramp nearby. Thankfuly the single wide pack animals from the dwarven caravan were able to get to me. I was running out of booze again. Dont know what this fort's deal is with not producing much food.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.