Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Prioritize different types of hauling  (Read 940 times)

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prioritize different types of hauling
« on: December 29, 2009, 12:51:18 am »

I've sometimes thought that I had enough haulers, only to find that my stonecrafter's workshop was heavily cluttered, or a prepared meal had rotted away in the kitchen.  I propose that different hauling jobs get different priorities, like this (highest priority to lowest priority):

1) Items in workshops which will give off miasma if left there.

2) Other items which will give off miasma if left where they are.

3) Non-rottable items in workshops.

4) Everything else.

Also, all other things being equal, the items in bucher's shops should be hauled first, since a slowdown there means that corpses will more likely go to waste.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Prioritize different types of hauling
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 01:14:31 am »

1) Usable items which will rot if left there. (EX: Cat meat, Cat fat, Cat corpse, Cat tallow roast)

2) Other items which will rot if left where they are. (EX: Urist McDwarf's upper right arm)

3) Non-rottable items in workshops.  (EX: Microcline door)

4) Everything else. (EX: Microcline)
Fixed "give off miasma" as it is essentially a wordy way of saying "rot" in the first place, added examples.
Changed it from "rotting items in workshops" to "rotting usable items", since there's no reason for my prepared meals to rot because they were dropped in the middle of the hallway due to some cancellation and weren't picked back up due to these priorities.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

GoldenH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prioritize different types of hauling
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 01:07:46 pm »

I think this should definitely be settable - I like it if each type of job had the same % chance of being accepted, that means that something is always moving forward in my fort, instead of everyone trying to futiliy keep up with my craftsdwarfs (I often just make a new workshop and my forts have dozens of identical heavily cluttered workshops). Miasma is Fun, its one of the few things that can reliably make my dwarves fall from Esctatic and its interesting to look at too.