Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: More civilizations  (Read 1503 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More civilizations
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 01:13:00 pm »

Given the Army Arc's completion I don't think we have to worry about it too much.  However we won't see trade/ambush from those other 4 until the end of the Caravan Arc.

But in the event that it's not planned I'd like to toss a vote out for it.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 03:27:00 pm »

He said the number of civs would be settable in the init file.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 07:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by gimli:
<STRONG>Guys I was always wondering, that why is there only a few civs in DF. Right now we have dwarves, goblins, humans and elves.
I think we definitely need more races. yes we can make mods and add new civs, however those will replace an existing civilization. [afaik] I think the number of civs must expand, or at least allow the modders to add new civs without replace an existing civilization. 1 evil race [goblins] just wont be enough, especially after the military arc will be completed. I would like to see at least 8 civs in my games.    :)

[ March 24, 2008: Message edited by: gimli ]</STRONG>

An alternative to additional civs would be variants of the races we have: barbarians, empires, reclusive isolationists, expansionist militants, religious zealots, mercantile traders, good/bright vs evil/dark etc etc. If a civ is not only distinguished by race, but also by a number of parameters and factions, then the situation could be really diversified.

You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 09:30:00 pm »

Another thing might be to determine which races(or groups of a given race, if the map holds more than one) rise to civilization and which remain barbarian/hunter-gatherer, along with variations in alignment - all random, but weighted by fields in the race's raws.
Pages: 1 [2]