Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need some megaproject help.  (Read 962 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Need some megaproject help.
« on: December 28, 2009, 07:21:54 pm »

I am going to embark on a 7x7 site, with about 125 z-levels. The entire map will be leveled, to make room for my fortress.

I have decided to build...

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Quadraxis

The entire fortress will be inside it. Each "foot" will be an entrance. I will be modding whatever the dominant layer stone is on my map to be purple and will be "plating" the "legs" with clear glass. All mechanical functions will be controlled inside the main body, in a small control room right in the middle of it all.

There is a problem, though - weapons. Marksdwarves won't have enough range, and ballistae/catapults can only damage on their z-level. Any alternatives? Magma missiles? Projectile cave-ins? Anything?

Also, looking for a site for this. Magma, river (underground or otherwise), lots of z-levels.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 07:38:44 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need some megaproject help.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 07:58:16 pm »

Are you going to level the map or excavate it? there is a big difference.

For weapons, you could use pumps to pump up magma inside the thing. Once it's up there, you can get a set up like this:

Code: [Select]
#=wall
M=pressurised magma
H=hatch cover linked to lever

#M#
#M#
#M#
#M#   #H#
#M#####M#
#MMMMMMM#
Since the magma has been pumped up, it will therefore be pressurised. If the lever is pulled, the hatch cover will open and magma will spurt into the surrounding area.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 08:10:01 pm »

Are you going to level the map or excavate it? there is a big difference.

For weapons, you could use pumps to pump up magma inside the thing. Once it's up there, you can get a set up like this:

Code: [Select]
#=wall
M=pressurised magma
H=hatch cover linked to lever

#M#
#M#
#M#
#M#   #H#
#M#####M#
#MMMMMMM#
Since the magma has been pumped up, it will therefore be pressurised. If the lever is pulled, the hatch cover will open and magma will spurt into the surrounding area.

Ah, yes, the old building-destroyer landmine, weaponized.

And I'm probably going to excavate it. Maybe just a gigantic oval, to simulate the arena where it's fought.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 08:55:25 pm »

It shouldn't be too hard to find a 7x7 map with those features - You'll probably want to find one with very few other featues to keep yout FPS up.

You don't need to mod it to get purple rock - you can build walls out of a purple material such as rose gold.

Excavating the map will take a long time. You'll want to do the following:
1-set up a temporary base
2-assign all who can be spared to be miners
3(i)-navigate to the highest non-mined level on the map
3(ii)-chop all trees on that level down
3(iii)-designate up ramps on the level below
3(iv)-go to 3(i)

You'll want to avoid mining out your temporary base until you have the permanent one set up. You will need to devote a small team of workers to provide food/drink and trade goods.

When it comes to the magma pipe, you will have a large problem dealing with the magma - if the walls are mined out, the magma will spill out. For this reason, I would recommend building an atomsmasher on the bottom level, let the magma flow into it, and destroy the magma that way. it will refill over time.

Mining out the magma pipe on the bottom level would be very awkward, so I would recommend not mining out the bottom level.

Dealing with invaders can take several forms:

(1) The architectural. These are bridges over pits, atomsmashers, thing like that. It is making the path to your fort hazardous, so enemies are killed on the approach. You can also place architectual defences inside the fort, and kill invaders that manage to enter that way. Traps are included in this.

(2) The military. Hammerdwarves, axedwarves, etc. Includes war animals. This relies on sending out an army to meet and kill the invaders. It requires the setting up of a military

(3) Projectiles. Siege weapons and marksdwarves. Normally their firing is limited, but if you contruct the walls of your creation out of fortifications, it will allow your projectiles to pass out while keeping your dwarves safe

(4) Fluids. The invaders cna be brought into contact with fluids by architectual methods. Bridges retracting over moats, for example. The fluid landmine can also be used. Floodgates holding back a body of fluid can be opened, resleasing the fluid. Finally, fluids can be dropped from above. If the invaders ever pass underneath anything, then one can use pumps and mechanisms to drop the fluids from above.

(4.1) Water. To kill things with water, you can either drown them or you can use a water flow to push them into other hazards.

(4.2) Magma. Now we're talking. Contact will kill most things.  A magma drowning chamber isn't necessary, but is dwarvenly. Care must be taken with pumping it around.

(4.3) Encasement. There are two types of encasement - Ice and obsidian. Ice can only occur in very cold climates. If the enemies are in water that is at 2/7 or deeper, cold temperatures can make the water freeze into an ice wall, encasing and killing the enemies. Obsidian encasement occurs when the creatures are in water and magma is added. It is worth noting that although magma kills most things, encasment kills everything, so it can be worth using obsidian encasement instead of magma dousing.

(5) Cave-ins. This can be considered an architectual defence. If the surface that an enemy is standing on is linked to a support, it can be collapsed, killing whatever is underneath. Water and obsidian can also be mixed in mid air which forms obsidian which immediately caves in. Cave-ins kill whatever is underneath, but also produce dust in the surrounding area. Dust will knock out creatues, including your dwarves. knocked out creatures can be susceptible to traps when they normally aren't.

Of course, be sure to upload to the map archive!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 09:06:57 pm »

And how would I go about getting the high number of z-levels? I haven't messed around much with worldgen params.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 09:14:56 pm »

The Z-levls available on a map are (I think) from 15 levels above the highest point on the map the 15 levels below the lowest point on the map. Having a map with very steep tiles will get you lots of z-levels.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 09:24:04 pm »

The Z-levls available on a map are (I think) from 15 levels above the highest point on the map the 15 levels below the lowest point on the map. Having a map with very steep tiles will get you lots of z-levels.

That much I know. It's getting the 80 or so in between that's the hard part.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 09:34:32 pm »

fiddling with the worldgen paramaters should do it - pump up the elevation variances and max variance. If you edit the worldgen text file instead of using the game to set the paramaters, you can increase these values higher than you normally can. You'll also want to set all the minimum/maximum paramaters to ignore.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 11:02:27 pm »

There's a World Gen Cookbook thread on the General Discussion forum. They may have a solution for you in there.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 11:18:36 pm »

Okay, found a site. Terrifying biome, large Obsidian layers, HFS (magma means burny clowns), pit, underground river, 78 z-levels.

I'm constructing a small aboveground fort area on a plateau. Excavation will begin when fort hits 20 pop. Dwarves temporarily given NO_EAT, NO_SLEEP, NO_DRINK. I'm a hard taskmaster.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 05:06:17 am »

Okay, found a site. Terrifying biome, large Obsidian layers, HFS (magma means burny clowns), pit, underground river, 78 z-levels.

Nope. Magma does not imply Spirits of Fun.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 12:39:00 pm »

Nope. Magma does not imply Spirits of Fun.

Ah, but it does. When it's in the upper levels of the funhouse, it most certainly does.

(I scanned through it with Visual Fortress, as I usually do.)