Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beating someone to death with their own arm....  (Read 1577 times)

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Beating someone to death with their own arm....
« on: March 09, 2010, 11:45:12 am »

Sadly, this cannot be done in fortress mode, but at least I can still do so in adventure mode.

Clearly the first step is severing the arm. I am having trouble doing this. Though I can select a range of wrestling moves, I can't seem to target the arm with my axe. This is clearly a problem.

After the limb is severed, clearly one must equip it and beat someone with it thusly. How can I do this?

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Beating someone to death with their own arm....
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 11:59:01 am »

Drop whatever weapon you were holding, then, pick up the arm.  Alternatively, if the arm is in your backpack, 'p'ut away your current weapon or 'd'rop it, then 'r'emove the arm and it will be weilded.  Commence bashing. 

Sadly, you can't target arms, but with a sword or an axe it's only a matter of time.  Choose a target rich environment and your wish shall be granted!
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 04:11:08 pm »

With elves, you're likely to beat them to death with someone ELSE'S arm. They die quickly.

Especially when you bash them out of sight with a clownite hammer.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McMason has been feeling clever lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 08:40:50 pm »

Beating someone to death with their own arm, though delightfully poetic, is problematic from a pragmatic sense.

You need to successfully sever the arm.
Then you need to get the arm.
Then you need to beat them to death.

The problem arises when the test subject bleeds to death before he can be bludgeoned to death.  All the wounds with your axe or sword that you create prior to severing the arm can cause this.  When you sever the arm that will also contribute a significant amount of blood loss.  Then there's the trouble with how effective a weapon that arm is, each not lethal strike with it prolonging the entire process. The race against your opponent's blood loss can make this quite a difficult feat to pull off.

As it has been mentioned, wisely, beating someone to death with their friend's/brother's/mother's arm is far simpler to achieve, and with some poetic license can almost be as good as the real thing.
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

spikedball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 06:16:40 am »

Alternatively you could bludgeon them to death with your head.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 08:06:50 am »

You could just use your weapons normal--

Doomshifter cancels Post: Interrupted by dwarven logic
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 11:55:16 am »

Alright, so we've established that I need an axe that can sever an arm but not make someone bleed to death before I take said arm and beat them to death with it.

Ideas?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 12:07:22 pm »

Well, a really high axe skill(or sword, if using one) has a tendancy to sever the head, causing an instakill. So don't train axe very high. A silver no-quality axe probably would reduce the chances as well.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

spikedball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 05:12:45 pm »

Whaaat.
Can't you just play a badass treehugger and whack them with an -oaken ballista arrow-?
I actually noticed certain things when I did this, notably the fact that the buggers bleed to death in three of mine (speed 2000+) turns, i.e. severing a limb deals normal over-time bleeding damage as well as instantly removing some blood.
I also remember seeing a human McUselessWorker bleed to death after a single hit in the left hand with a clownite bolt. It broke the hand and mangled several fingers, and that was enough. I would not be surprised if a masterwork steel greataxe deals twice or thrice as much of over-time bleeding as the ballista arrow.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 02:22:19 am »

It depends a lot on the toughness of whoever you're beating up.  I once managed to go completely black knight on a guy and leave him with just a torso sitting there and bleeding out.  He still wanted to fight me.