Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Saved worlds and adventurers  (Read 641 times)

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Saved worlds and adventurers
« on: October 13, 2007, 07:39:00 am »

This made me think alot, is there some way that when you save your game it splits apart your world and your adventurers stats an equipment, like you have the normal world files but then you have a file that is only to do with your adventurer so that you could take him to another world that you created at a different time. So what might happen is that when you go to play as an adventurer it searches for that saved file an asks you whether you want to load him/her or not. Just wondering if this would be a good idea or not.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Saved worlds and adventurers
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 04:45:00 pm »

I'd thought a little about this a while ago, and I think there are some times when this sort of thing might be useful, like that ability to send a hist fig or a site or a civilization around.  I think the only issue with it is making sure that the relevant portions of the game objects generated from the raws match up.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 11:35:00 pm »

Would it be possible to seperate out all the objects, races, world bits, etc from the adventurer (or whatever is being moved) and then splice them into the  host world as "alien" versions, allowing (say) a modified dwarf to wander around a world with normal dwarves?  It might be good to check if there are exactly identical versions already in the host world, but otherwise, that could cover it.

Not sure it's worth it if it's a big undertaking, though...

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 04:41:00 pm »

Yeah, it would have to be something like that, but it would be time-consuming slog since modified objects with the same token would have to be given new tokens and so on, so there's a bit of data to update and it's very easy to omit and break things.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 05:52:00 am »

I only thought that this would be a usefull thing to have around but if it can end up breaking things then i would rather not risk it besides its not that important to me, i just thought it would be a good way of moving your adventurer around as well as backing him up instead of the whole world.