Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress name hacking  (Read 1173 times)

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
  • Behold the saccharine visage of a fluffy wambler.
    • View Profile
Fortress name hacking
« on: December 27, 2009, 04:56:21 am »

So, I micromanaged a fortress almost at the end of its second year and everything is going swimmingly. I would say it's about 80% perfect, with the majority of the rooms planned out from embarkation, each dwarf allocated to certain types of labor depending on what kind of artifact I'm going to try and get from him/her based on personal preferences and personality, the whole nine yards.

I just found out that when I embarked (after resetting several times for a starting 7 with certain preferences) I forgot to set the name for my fortress to the one I had in mind. I need to know if anyone else knows of a way to change it. I fiddled around in Cheat Engine for a bit, but I don't know enough about hacking to find the right values in memory.

Failing this, I will restart from embark, because I am that much of a perfectionist; I'll use the opportunity to make the fort even closer to perfection by tweaking the initial layout. But I'm not such a perfectionist that I would prefer to start over...

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress name hacking
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 05:20:15 am »

the next version of dwarf fortress is so close to being complete you may as well put off your plans until then. otherwise i'm sorry to say that there is no such fortress renaming utility.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
  • Behold the saccharine visage of a fluffy wambler.
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress name hacking
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 05:41:56 pm »

That's a good point. Although my fortress layout isn't terribly dependent on the map I'm using, so hopefully I won't have to modify it too much for the new version... (I'm using Dwarf Heaven).

The only thing that truly bothers me about ditching this fort is that I have the most amazing artifact name ever, even better than Deviancemothers.

I have a mason making an artifact called:

Shamefulconvent

and I will have to abandon it... I really hope someone makes a savegame hacking/editing utility, so I can take some of my old artifacts and add them to future forts...