Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deciding when to attack?  (Read 582 times)

Zambaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Deciding when to attack?
« on: December 29, 2009, 06:51:42 am »

I was just wondering if it's possible to add something so that custom races attack you once you have enough valueables?

Also, is there anything I can add so that they are basically pissed off at everyone, always mongering wars? (orcs =3)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Deciding when to attack?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 06:56:45 am »

I believe if you remove CAN_SPEAK from a creature, they have no choice but to fight everyone. Possibly CAN_LEARN as well?

And yes, there are trade and population triggers you can set in the civ entity file.

Zambaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 06:59:57 am »

Nice, nice.
And in the civ entity file, what do I edit there?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 07:00:47 am »

In the race's entity entry you'll see:

Code: [Select]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:1]

The trigger can be set to anything between 1 and 5 - 1 suggests that the race attacks/has contact with you as soon as it's able, 2 is default for goblins and the like (~60 pop), 3 and higher are obviously later. It's worth remembering that the civ will attack when any one of these triggers are reached, not all of them - the only way to get a civ to act on one trigger specifically is to remove the other two.

As for warmongering civs, any civ that lacks the CAN_SPEAK tag (ie, it's got CAN_LEARN and CAN_CIV instead of INTELLIGENT) will always be hostile to everything, as will any civs with the ITEM_THIEF or BABYSNATCHER tags.

Ninja'd, I'll post anyway

Zambaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 07:05:57 am »

Awesome. 3 to the rescue once more =D

And what would you reccomend for a starting population for orcs?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 07:20:08 am »

A starting pop for the civ itself? Generally I'd say that the stronger the race is, the smaller you want the pop to be, so it doesn't just swarm all over the place during worldgen and kill everything.

The START_GROUP_NUMBER for dwarfs is 20, so if they're stronger you'll probably want less, or a lower max pop. Worldgen takes most things into account when determining whether or not races survive - size mainly, but some special abilities as well.

Zambaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 09:07:25 am »

Ah, okay. Wish me luck, I'm gonna pop my custom civs and items into the game =)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 06:47:07 am »

If you want certain creatures to have huge pops, but not be godly during world gen, you can make sure all civs have same size during worldgen and then change it to your liking. That is if I am recalling that size doesn't need a reset like adding or removing [SPEED:0]

Like make all civs [SIZE:5] and everyone should fair better, even with the larger populations, no guarantees though.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!