Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to build a drowning chamber?  (Read 3870 times)

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to build a drowning chamber?
« on: December 26, 2009, 05:37:42 pm »

So, I'm going to try a drowning chamber--more specifically, a drowning chamber where my trade depot will be located, which I will use to get rid of elves--, which seems to be a typical sort of little project.  But I'm stumped as to how to go about it.

See, what I want to do is use a nearby brook to provide the water, then drain it out into a cistern below the trade depot location and let it evaporate down there. But how would I do this, exactly? The actual chamber part SEEMS to be easy enough: just channel a tunnel behind a preplaced floodgate, then raise the floodgate and let the brook pour in when needed. It's more the draining part I need help with.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: How to build a drowning chamber?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 06:10:34 pm »

Water naturally evaporates when you leave it with no renewing source.  All you really need to do is set up a floodgate in such a way that it will assuredly block incoming water once your trap is flooded, and you'll be fine.

That said, you also have the option of setting up a curious system like this:

Code: [Select]
OOOXOOO
OtttttO
OtttttO
OtttttO
OtttttO
OtttttO
OOXXXOO

X = Floodgate
O = Wall
t = Trade Depot

Then link up two switches: the first one locks the front 3 floodgates that the caravan enters through, trapping them.  The second lever opens the rear floodgate and lets all the water in.  Once you've drowned the traders, pull the second lever again to stop the in-flowing water, and pull the first lever once that's done to empty the trade depot of water more quickly than you could otherwise.  Just be sure you have a wide open space that you don't mind getting wet outside of the front of the depot.
Sanity is for the weak.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 06:18:16 pm »

Ooooh. I thought I needed to drain it into a different area before the level of water in each tile would lower to the evaporation point. My mistake. Thanks a bunch.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 06:25:11 pm »

for creatures:
level 1
WFFW
WFFW

L2
X FFFF
   FFFF
   FF F
   FFFF

key
W=wall
F=floor

make a pond over the hole and fill to kill
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 07:22:56 pm »

Why not build the depot next to the brook, surround it with walls and use screw pumps to pump the water in. Then build a ceiling above it except for a couple of holes with more screw pumps above to just pump the water back into the brook. Certainly saves trouble of digging out places for the water to go.
Code: [Select]
  ╔═════╗ ≈≈≈≈
  ║O███O║ ≈≈≈≈
 ┌┐█████÷÷≈≈≈≈
 ││██O██÷÷≈≈≈≈
 └┘█████÷÷≈≈≈≈
  ║O███O║ ≈≈≈≈
  ╚═════╝ ≈≈≈≈
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 07:25:01 pm by SenorOcho »