Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Donner Party Challenge  (Read 719 times)

jryan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Donner Party Challenge
« on: December 24, 2009, 09:19:17 pm »

Ok, here is one for people to try.  It may be easy or impossible as I have't tried yet myself.. but here is the game:

You will take over command of seven dwarves that have been trapped in the freezing mountains as they were trying to transport a small stock of crockodile leather to their tundra dwelling brethren.

Because they are dwarves of the warm woodlands, they were ill prepared.  All they have is 1 pick, 1 axe, almost no skills, and almost no food or drink.  Your only resource is a few pack animals and the wood used to build the wagon.

This is a survival game, so I picked the site because it is almost completely barren...

Can you survive?!

The Save File

Good Luck!!!

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Donner Party Challenge
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 09:29:18 pm »

Has this been modded so that dwarfs are butcherable?

It should be.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

jryan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 09:52:40 pm »

Oooh, good point.  Would I need to include the raw in the zip if I did?

Anyway, for now lets just try and survive with a few rations, a few seeds and some booze, and no breeding animal pairs.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 07:08:20 pm »

Not really a very challenging start position for a survival game to be honest, theres plenty of berries, theres readily available soil for harvesting, and wild animals ready for hunting. The lack of water is only a slight hinderance, and im fairly certain the river will thaw as soon as summer rolls by, as its already raining.
The idea is nice tho, and its fun to do something different than starting with the perfect group of dwarves and all the supplies you need for the first ten years :P

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 07:37:54 pm »

The water never did thaw for me in summer, but I agree that it was not very difficult to get established.  There are enough trees that I could concentrate on digging out a soil layer instead of trying to get a lot of rock with a complete novice miner.  I just built my workshops and my depot of wood, and made plenty of barrels for booze.  It was a fun change, though.   :)

There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 09:45:26 pm »

You know, this wasn't very hard setting up. I set up shop pretty easily and started churning out leather items to make sure I would have enough dorfbucks to get an anvil.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.