Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Swimming  (Read 667 times)

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma Swimming
« on: December 26, 2009, 12:03:09 am »

My metalsmith who works at my magma forge will leap into the magma every so often (I save scum to recover him). I have given my dwarves the [SWIMS_INNATE] tag, but I don't understand why he will leap into the magma and burn to death. I've already tried restricting the traffic in the area.
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Swimming
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 12:06:43 am »

they sometimes trip or dodge.
stupid dwarves.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 12:12:22 am »

Would building a floor over a section of the magma then walling it off work? Assuming they don't fall in during the construction of it.
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 12:13:53 am »

You can floor or grate over magma and it will be safe.

I usually channel it a Z-level below, and then only open a single hole, and the build the forge such that an impassible part of it is over the hole, and it works great.

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 12:23:26 am »

Just finished walling it off (took me a couple times cause the fire man popped up and torched my dwarves).