Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tunnels through ice  (Read 702 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tunnels through ice
« on: December 25, 2011, 12:30:30 pm »

Heh.  Today's devlog actually sound like amazing features.  I'm sure it would be bad if every town was like that all over, but having those things happen rarely and in a few places might add a little extra color.

I remember reading an account of winter in (Cant remember very well, so I'm going to butcher the name here, but:) Krosnovgrodyisk (basically Red Guard City, if memory serves) during the seige of Lenongrad. There were major hospitals here, and during the deep winters the hospital staff had dug tunnels under the snow between buildings, so it would not have to be shoveled every day.  Probably this was a normal practice in the region at the time.  Maybe it still is?

The devlog about ice pushing up out of rivers and bisecting towns, and tunnels being cut through at the bridge points remind me a bit of that.  It might be neat if features like this were possible at some point.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tunnels through ice
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 12:40:03 pm »

Yes there have been places where the snow gets so high they just make tunnels.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 01:00:49 pm »

It was Leningrad (St.-Petersburg now, where I live).

Probably this was a normal practice in the region at the time.  Maybe it still is?
Yep, but we have to do it with balalaikas. :P

Seriously though, no. The current climate nets almost no snow in the winter. Blame factories and technological progress all around the world.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 10:14:04 am »

im thinking that it was more to do with geting shot than haveing to do a bit of shoveing.
still if you have ice then you can dig a tunnel
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG