Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress is making me a bad person. >_>  (Read 5451 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress is making me a bad person. >_>
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 08:57:37 pm »

The last dwarf I had go berserk I used for training. Assigned a macedwarf with a spinal wound to "practice". And the worst part to me was that he was up to professional furnace operator, making him useful for working through the massive amounts of magnetite on this map.

I'm building a giant execution chamber with multiple deathtraps. So far I have a magma pit, and when I finish clearing the stone I'll also have a drowning chamber, a dwarven slap chop, a vivisection chamber, an atom smasher, a chunker, a mangler (base quality weapons in base quality mechanisms), a catapult chamber, a firing wall, and an orcput field.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 11:48:14 pm »

I haven't personally done it, but quite a while ago, I read about somebody who made something called the Whippit. Basically it was a checkerboard design with weapon traps all filled with one single silver whip each. The prisoners would walk around for a whole season being whipped until they finally died.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Crowbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 11:58:13 pm »

I've got to admit, I still feel a little bad every time I drown the elven caravan.  But I felt even worse when I assigned a puppy to a terrarium in my dining hall.  That's no way to treat a puppy!

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 12:53:39 am »

Hmmm, I was under the impression that all DF players were as jaded as I am after their first fort goes down in glorious flames. Remember: do NOT underestimate fire men
Whippit.
Whippit good. (couldn't resist)

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 05:50:03 am »

Oh yeah, I love this one. It was actually pretty easy to make too. All you need is a bunch of stone and a mechanic's shop.

By a bunch I suppose you mean about 20-30 stone?
when you start building giant, 20-30 Z-level towers then you will be using a bunch of stone...

DaMunky89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2009, 03:35:36 am »

*lol* Well, I call it a "bunch" when it's like a handful of rocks. (Yes, I realize these stones are half the size of my dwarves, but still, 20~30 is not much.)

When you start making above ground buildings I call it "alot", or in extreme circumstances "a whole lot". ^_^

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2009, 09:28:35 am »

A bad person is a good dwarf

Wow, I must be a really great dwarf then. . .
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 12:22:17 pm »

Oh yeah the upgrade

Use, 1 x corridor width, bridges resting behind channels on the edges of the hallway, instead of the doors or hatches, only downside is that instead you can't put any pressure plates in the killing zone, maybe more work and such, but will be building destroyer proof and trouble proof in general if you pull the levers correctly and all, could even fill the channel with magma or water. Though I just thought, hook up a repeater to the thing and the pressure plates aren't an issue, could even cooly alternate the bridge arrangement so half the walkway has bridges down on it one moment and then the other half the next, or randomly for giggles.

Also I'd reccomend that the bridge acting as the last lock keeping them from getting inside the fort is 2 x corridor width, resting on the end of the corridor with a channel between it and the walkway, would allow emergency flooding if you feel like it or need to, but also allow civilian activity behind it to carry on without them getting scared. Naturally keeping it down as long as possible to lure then enemy in is important, but risky =P

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2009, 01:09:50 pm »

This explanation turned into a bit of a story-like ramble, so spoiler-tagged.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Might come back with one or two pics later for illustration.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2009, 01:21:24 pm »

I just loled my ass off, but i would have let him go. Purely to spread the terror of the great dwarven deathtrap.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2009, 05:56:55 pm »

That, my friend, is fantastic.

I've made my own goblin smasher as well.
The channels make it take longer to get through, so more goblins are in there when I lower the bridge. Cage traps catch those that make it through before the bridge comes down. If any goblins are on the bridge when I put it back up, they fall into the channels and down a pit to the bottom of the map. Not exactly complicated, but it gets the job done.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 08:47:47 pm by TKGP »
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2009, 06:07:19 pm »

When you start making above ground buildings I call it "alot"

How about calling it "a lot" instead? Alternatively, you could use spell check.

On topic: you know DF has made you a bad person if you start having problems separating games from reality. Do you see what I did there?
Pages: 1 [2]