Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rescuing a dwarven child.  (Read 1318 times)

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
Rescuing a dwarven child.
« on: December 23, 2009, 06:55:38 pm »

In adventure mode, I sneaked into a dark fortress and rescued a dwarven child. After speaking with him, I found the name and location of his parents, and brought him to their fortress. I wandered around for a while, and couldn't find his parents, but they're probably there somewhere.
Anyway, I was wondering if there's a way to get this child to leave my party and stay in his home fortress. I've tried every speech option to no effect. Would retiring and resuming my adventurer do it?
As long as I'm asking a question, is there a way to outfit your companions? I doubt it, but it would be nice if I could give them some better armor. Also, do your companions run out of arrows/bolts?

I asked this on the "Gameplay Questions" board, but was told I should ask here instead.
Edit: I didn't know there was a 'move topic' button until after I remade the thread. :/
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 07:01:58 pm by monkeyfetus »
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Rescuing a dwarven child.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 07:13:48 pm »

Retiring won't make companions leave.
And you can't outfit them either.
And yes, Companions will eventually run out of arrows/bolts. At least i think.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 07:16:48 pm by Phantom »

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 07:24:36 pm »

So I'm stuck with this dwarf child following me around until he dies?
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 07:29:28 pm »

Yep.  Don't worry though, it is a tradition for dwarven warriors to bring their children into battle as shields.

Just imagine your doing that...just the child is a bit more mobile and will likely disappear into the first dragon, hydra, GCS, or carp you encounter.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 02:04:19 am »

I like to use goblin slaves (preferably elven) and elven drunks as body shields. The elves are not only disposable, but they run nice and fast towards your enemy, bringing a nice distraction before you can let them taste dwarven steel.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 03:57:43 am »

Retiring won't make companions leave.
And you can't outfit them either.
Retiring won't make adult companions leave. Children, however, will happily jump out of your party the moment you retire. I've done this on many occasions.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 07:18:44 am »

I like to think of the children I rescue as morality chains. As in, no senseless slaughter in front of them.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 05:22:37 pm »

yes thay do 30 odd shots later there useing there bow as a club.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

GrafZeppelin

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saddest Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 05:57:22 pm »

I've had children follow me around after, sometimes they stayed in the city. I've also had a child pick up a goblin head and use that as a weapon.