Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: burial of legendary champions  (Read 1640 times)

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: burial of legendary champions
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 10:23:08 pm »

And i added in that last part in my previous post to make it so you didnt lose very valuable objects.

And that's just it. There's no sensible reason for it in-game, and it doesn't make the game more interesting - it's only added for player ease. At that point, it compromises the whole mechanic.

Appeasing an angry ghost should not be an easy thing. Even if the item itself is returned, they might demand some further offering for the trouble. Beyond that, perhaps only a masterwork item that matches at least one of their prefs will blunt their anger at all(so if they like iron and battle axes, an iron sword or a silver battle axe might both help, but an iron battle axe is better still).

This would make the dwarves less interchangable. If your champion or one of your heroes dies, and his spirit insists on being buried with his valuable *d*m*nt*ne weapon, all the more reason to not send him into battle without proper support in the first place. As it is, champions are useful but ultimately expendable. Having them claim their gear would make them rather less so - and as it seems some of the major military stupidities are being removed with the next version, they'll be easier to keep alive, and thus treating them as cannon fodder won't be the only way to go.

Good Ideas. What if the dwarves get attached to weapons and armour? Then maybe they will not part with the weapons ever? Even after death.
Never mind "what if", see the dev log; dwarves WILL get attached to at least their weapons. I can see them being less particular about their armour - it's useful, yes, but their weapons(and MAYBE shields) are, if I may wax poetic, extensions of their will. They may want to be buried with good armour, but artifacts notwithstanding, it's the weapons that they'd REALLY come to know and love.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 10:26:58 pm »

Let just hope they dont get TOO MUCH attached to their *very hfs* artif weapon ... or else... it would be a great loss, this way you will do everything you can to avoid him dieing..
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 11:42:32 pm »

And then suddenly the cave collapses and he dies...

Well there could be an option for it in the ini.txt for players who like an easier challange (@ shurhaian)

Or they could just keep on vanquishing the ghost... Or prehaps dump his body in a magma pit... heheh
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2009, 07:40:21 am »

Or prehaps dump his body in a magma pit... heheh
...or into the clown car! That'd be almost fitting, it'd be returning him to where the stuff comes from, and there'd be other reasons to suggest it might keep his spirit from wandering the fortress.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 12:02:11 am »

They'ld have too much fun killing and slaughtering the demons.:D
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 04:44:27 am »

I'd prefer champions not demand to be buried with their equipment. Failing to provide a satisfying burial should of course upset the relatives. It should ultimately be the player's choice. After all, some of us would rather prefer to bury the dwarf in question in his bismuth bronze ceremonial armor wrapped in a blood red cloak, not the rusty gear he fought in. Burying items the dwarf held dear would of course satisfy relatives

Haunting should probably be tied to spheres. Dead aren't restless everywhere. Only dear items should cause restlessness and even then not all of them. Otherwise you end up with a tomb full of assorted crap that's all considered precious, down to every last elf leather thong. It would make very undramatic quests. It should be noted the mechanic need not be limited to just soldiers. I could picture a dwarven woman's spirit asking you to retrieve a wedding ring filched by grave robbers or even the casket of the husband himself, buried elsewhere. Or perhaps the remains of someone the dwarf felt unrequited affection for. There's a lot of reasons why one might feel restless in death, the request being creepy need not be an object

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 02:36:09 pm »

Truly epic gear is something that would get reused anyway, and the passing of it on to another user is story fodder itself.  Excalibur.  The One Ring ... or since we're talking about Dwarves here, the Ring of the Nebilung.

I never play Adventure Mode myself, but I think haunting and the various requests of spirits would make an awesome addition to it.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 02:38:04 pm by sproingie »
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!
Pages: 1 [2]