Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stoves  (Read 1711 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stoves
« on: December 11, 2009, 08:28:25 pm »

Stoves struck me as an essential piece of furniture for dwarfs. They provide light and warmth, you can cook on them, dry clothes on them, and incinerate waste in them. But that's not all.

Stoves have become works of art in many cultures. From simple things like sculpted legs for the stove to stand on, to dressing the stove in detailed stone mosaics. Elaborately sculpted works of art in metal and stone... doesn't that sound like a dwarfish thing to make?

It's a statue that produces light and heat!
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Whitney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stoves
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 12:22:47 am »

It's just not that essential. I'm thinking you mean it as a piece of furniture with utility. What powers it? Wood? Good waste of wood. What purpose does it serve? Cooks food for individual dwarves? Raises their cooking? Why? A dedicated cook can do this. Room value? So what? It's a Noble piece of furniture?

I just don't see it as fitting in Dwarf Fortress at this time.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 12:28:02 am »

If it can be used to upgrade a kitchen, I'll take it, I'll just say 1 fuel = 1 season of fire.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 12:37:15 am »

Magma stove screams dwarfy... and the fire imp coming out of the magma stove just plain screams.

I love the idea of using it as a waste disposal system, because we really need a good solid method of doing away with all that narrow goblin crap and the XXclothingXX.  Perhaps it could be a requirement for making roasts.  Let's face it, we've all seen the staggering worth of a lavish meal; I find it more than justifiable to add a requirement of fuel or magma to balance it.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 04:41:31 am »

If it is used smoke must be let off...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 06:57:59 am »

If it is used smoke must be let off...
Yeah of course... And the dwarves circulatory system should be simulated so that a cut that hits an artery bleeds more... but until toady learns how to program in Cuda or fusion and we all have the appropriate "Graphics" card there is no way an atmospheric simulation wont cause a constant case of FPS:0 every time a stove is started.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 11:01:05 am »

Personal stoves - no. Dwarves are a communal race, they eat together, work together, and everything they produce belongs to the state short of what they need to survive (and later what they swipe from the stockpiles, but that's a placeholder). The only thing dwarves want their own of is a bed, they don't even care about the room it's in. You could have 200 beds in a barracks, if the dwarf has his bed, he'll walk around ecstatic all the time.

Requiring fuel to cook - maybe. The idea of fuel would have to be updated. Peat, dung, sawdust, scrap cloth, wooden armor, and other things could be used for the significantly lower temperatures required to cook food. Magma could also be used (and would probably be used most of the time).

Oh, and I consider the absurd values of roasts to be either a broken placeholder or the result of food not having a realistic rot cycle. By 1.0 we probably won't see roasts producing more wealth than metalcrafting.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 03:48:23 pm »

They don't need to be used for cooking per se. Instead I'd say they'd be used to warm already prepared meals. So putting a bunch of stoves in your dining room then would give your dwarfs happy thoughts because they "ate a warm meal recently". On top of that, they could be used to heat rooms, which should give another happiness bonus. The same thing could be applied to living quarters. "slept in a warm room recently" should give another happiness bonus.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 10:01:23 pm »

On top of that, they could be used to heat rooms, which should give another happiness bonus. The same thing could be applied to living quarters. "slept in a warm room recently" should give another happiness bonus.

Better yet, attach one or more stoves to a specialized pipe network to create central heating.  I could see forts in glacial settings requiring something like this for survival in a future update.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 08:44:45 am »

The ground is what, 4 degrees Celsius year-round. Fireplaces in rooms dwarves eat, work, hang out or sleep in would probably make them considerably happier. Either a check tied to various labors reminiscent of the current noise mechanic or just a general body temperature mechanic. The first is probably more practical seeing a lot of people turn temperature off completely

Whitney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 11:14:37 am »

The first is probably more practical seeing a lot of people turn temperature off completely

"A lot" isn't the proper term. Maybe a couple people do. But by no means "A lot"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 11:20:29 am »

I am not so much against stoves as I find it to be very odd relative that we already have kitchens. so it is in a way odd to see the communal dwarves have it.

Though I can ENTIRELY see the humans with it.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 12:13:43 pm »

Instead of a stove, why not make a "heater" of some name, it could be powered by magma, or use 1 fuel per season to generate heat that dwarves might need to survive in glacier enviroments, they could be used for other things like they could replace the kitchen or better yet, they could be used as an optional component in the building of a kitchen allowing it to make higher quality meals than normal, albiet they would use fuel to be used each time.