Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: "Oh man, what a great location!" Now where the #### is the iron?!  (Read 2049 times)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Re: "Oh man, what a great location!" Now where the #### is the iron?!
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 03:03:40 am »

I only have ONE vein of hematite on my map.

Same here. I didn't even bother to mine any of it out. I'm mining Goblins instead.
Never pet a burning dog.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 03:30:03 am »

im not sure if even goblins can get to me...
Been likea year or two and still havnt come...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 11:45:46 am »

If your flux is marble, there's your problem. Marble is the lamest of the flux stones, only has copper. I actually deleted it from my folders, makes it easier to find limestone+magma maps.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 12:44:12 pm »

I've had good successes with limestone, but yea I would agree that Dolomite kind of sucks since there isn't much iron in it. However, if you get a good secondary sedimentary rock, the amount of iron in the other rock can make up for the lack of iron in the flux or elswhere.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 02:33:38 pm »

Marble is my favorite flux stone because it's incredibly gem/precious metal rich. Though you really need to hope you have a sedimentary layer with it. Marble/Conglomerate (no aquifer) or better yet Marble/Claystone is the perfect landing spot imho, but Marble/(Any Sediment) is what I usually aim for. Mostly from a purely "unrelated to game mechanics" way (Marble statues 4tw), but I love the precious metals and gems that you find all over the place in marble.

Edit to add:

If your flux is marble, there's your problem. Marble is the lamest of the flux stones, only has copper.

Yeah, but it also has oodles of clear tormalines, and a really substantial amount of the 20+ value gems. It gives you way more gems of value than any other stone type. It isn't all about the metals.

I personally think it's inefficient to try to get a flux stone that will have all the metals you need with it, too. Most of the other rock layers suck butt beyond their ability to be metal-bearing, the flux you get should, in my opinion, give you (a) an aesthetic you're looking for (like the marble statues :D ) if you have any "rp" orientation to you, (b) utility (duh, making steel :D ), (c) and overall value -- which comes primarily from gems.

Sure, you can make glass which will make your stuff have more value, but raw glass isn't worth crap, and even the best glass (crystal glass) is less valuable than the majority of gems that fall into Marble.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 02:40:28 pm by Asmodeous »
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 07:34:07 pm »

Yeah, but IIRC that's only for the layer stones; clusters @ veins are generated when the game needs to generate them, which, again IIRC, is why you have to designate the bottom of the entire map before using Reveal.

Does this apply to HFS?  I made the seed to my story fort public, somebody played it, and found HFS in exactly the same place.  I don't know about the other stone/ore/gem locations.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 07:40:39 pm »

HFS is a feature rather than a vein/cluster- it gets generates at worldgen.
Of course, when all else fails, look for a desert with a magma pipe.  Unlikely though a find like that is, pretty much every white or black sand desert consists of chalk below the sand (meaning lots of magnetite and platinum to go with your huge layers of flux).

I'm sorry, but that's simply not true. Whilst is is often easier to find a fluxpipe in deserts, that's mostly because the different coloured sands all have different rocks under them, so a sedimentary-igneous extrusive boundary (and thus a fluxpipe map) is more common. The type of soil in a biome has *no* effect on the rock.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme
Pages: 1 [2]