Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: So I'm writing a Game Design Document  (Read 5369 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I'm writing a Game Design Document
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2009, 02:39:27 am »

If you're creative enough to get a unique idea, chances are you wouldn't care when people steal it. Ideas are worthless anyway. Designs are useful, like if you have an interesting story or plot that revolves around gameplay and player actions. But people still won't take them seriously and stories and worlds are usually skimmed over unless they're part of something.

Let's put it this way - if someone put up the idea of Jagged Alliance or Master of Magic on the Internet before making them, nobody would steal the idea, because it seems worthless/crazy. The idea of DF has probably been thought up many times, but never stolen. I made a dungeon-digging game once. And I've got a very ambitious combat system going in another game. Trying to combine both and actually do more seemed like a silly idea, but hey, someone did it and makes thousands from donations.

Formulas are probably worth something to a game designer, though. Especially if you do some things better and in a way people didn't think of before. I'd love to get my hands on Toady's map generation algorithm or how the new combat system works.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2009, 07:41:39 pm »

That's a good point.

The basic idea is that there are classic fantasy races in the place of aliens, magic comes from crystals, and elves are actually going to be awesome while still being proper elves.  Also, guns are near useless, because crystals are simpler, prettier, and more deadly.  Modern and mythical materials in armor and weapons as well.

I actually have a nice way to do magic crystals, but that involves formulas and whatnot, so I'll skimp on that.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2009, 08:06:46 am »

I don't want to seem like a horrible, horrible person, but I have seen better terrain generation.
It's still pretty damn good though.
I've been trying my hand at it, and let me tell you, it's a fun thing to mess around in.

[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2009, 02:44:42 am »

I don't want to seem like a horrible, horrible person, but I have seen better terrain generation.
I've been trying my hand at it, and let me tell you, it's a fun thing to mess around in.

toady's terrain generation absolutely requires compression.

If he was able to write out every single tile in the landscape by hand from the start of the game to all layers I daresay DF would have a more fantastic terrain generator than almost any you could have seen.

Something about knowing calculus, computer science, and doing lots of research.

and development.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2009, 04:12:41 pm »

toady's terrain generation absolutely requires compression.

If he was able to write out every single tile in the landscape by hand from the start of the game to all layers I daresay DF would have a more fantastic terrain generator than almost any you could have seen.

Something about knowing calculus, computer science, and doing lots of research.

and development.
Um.  Who brought up terrain generation, on this thread?  I haven't even finished the design document,  so I don't see how a working terrain generator is relevant . . . Or is Mr. Orange a time traveler?

Seriously, guys, I think you clicked the wrong thread.  No worries, 'course, but you just might want to get back to that one.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2009, 06:42:15 am »

Make sure you check out gamedev's articles about game design and documentation.  They look pretty good.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2009, 10:46:35 pm »

That was quick.
Pages: 1 2 [3]