Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: pen and paper games?  (Read 1597 times)

jd6199

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
pen and paper games?
« on: January 31, 2010, 12:29:20 am »

After seeing rules a long long time ago for a simple wargame-ish type thing using graph paper I decided to write some rules for one of my own, but they aren't really up to par yet so I'm on the lookout for some filler.  Does anybody know of any good war/adventure/RPGlike games that can be played on paper?

jd6199

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: pen and paper games?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 10:27:48 am »

Really?  Nobody's got anything?

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 03:10:33 pm »

Well... any RPG can be played with just paper... Thats why they arent called pen & paper & minis games. :P

Aside from that, pretty much very wargame ive ever heard of requires minis, or pieces of some sort. I know theres a few out there that use cards as units, which makes it alot easier to transport and set up.. and alot cheaper.

Other than that i dunno?

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 04:03:25 pm »

The Star Wars series of d20 PnP games has rules for large scale battles including capital ships and fighters, as well as troops and such.

I think Dark Heresy and/or Rogue Trader has rules for space battles too. Just add rules for including terrain and you're good to go.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 04:35:19 pm »

In elementary/middle school, we wanted something to do while our teachers went over the parts of speech for the nth time (or whatever the day's "lesson" was while they were killing time until we could go home). So my friend would draw a landscape, very basic, mountains/water/land, and then I'd transfer it to graph paper (mountains were impassible, water passible only to ships, and land only to land units/infantry, with squares roughly split between land/water passible by both).

We then got a certain number of units of whatever types we decided on, which had predetermined arbitrary ranges we measured with a compass (so that we'd get the proper transference when things were not direvtly aligned on the graph paper). We had bases, income, pricing for units, and towers for defense. How many hits from x it took to kill y, etc.

Yes, we were pretty creative. We had a lot of fun with it, but the constant erasing and redrawing of the units made things a little difficult. Having a piece of graph paper for units and one for terrain that we could overlay helped a lot, as we could just replace the units page. I generally won because I was a jerk, I made the rules, and I was smart enough as a kid to win most strategy games anyway.

Aside from that you can have momentary fun with things like the connect the dots game or "boxes" as it is sometimes known, and drawing games like connect 4 which build on themselves without the need for erasing. We tried checkers and other boardgames both by drawing it on and by using movable pieces, but it was always tedious. This sort of portable boredom-killing is truly what card games are for. Learn a selection of the hundreds available and carry a couple of decks of cards, then you'll never be bored in good company even if you can't converse.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 06:51:02 pm »

Mostly RPGs, but this should do you for a while.  Good luck sifting through all of the info on this site and hope you can find something you like. :)

http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/site/about.html

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 01:43:05 pm »

ShadowRun
Alpha Omega
Brontosaurus Rex
Dungeons and Dragons
Road Hogs

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 03:13:36 pm »

You can play an RPG like D&D without miniatures - but the latter editions pretty much require them for fights.

But if you're cool with just describing things you can do without the figurines. We use figures and a dry erase mat with squares on it, but often when things are simple to imagine we just describe what's going on and stop moving the figures around. If it gets complicated the referee draws the area on the mat and everyone puts their figures where their characters are.

The extreme of using figures too much comes when you say your character is going to sneak along the wall and peek around the corner, and you pick up your figure and walk it along and lean it over at the corner. You really don't need figures in that case.

Also the need for figures increases with the number of objects in the fight. A marker or spell effect that you lay down on the board counts as an object just like a player-character or a monster. Imagine a fight between a single PC and a monster. It would be ridiculous to use figures. Then imagine two PCs and two monsters. You can still get away with no figures. More than that and it gets difficult to juggle everyone's relative position. I'd use the "seven plus or minus two" rule here but lean to the low end of the scale.

That means any RPG can be played with just pencil and paper if you have just one or two players. If you have three or four players you should get some tokens to represent them - perhaps bits from other board games for the PCs and dice for the monsters so the referee can track what happens to "monster number 6" for example.

Beyond four players it gets difficult to remember what token represents which player. At 5+ players, and perhaps as few as four, you really need to start using figures.

As for wargame suggestions, you should read up on various rule sets. I'd suggest getting a grasp of the basics of Tunnels and Trolls, Dungeons and Dragons, GURPS, and Shadowrun (or any of the World of Darkness games that use dice pools), Dogs in the Vineyard, and Burning Wheel. That should give you a good foundation of some common types of task resolution.

In terms of a concrete thing you can take away from this post, how about this:

Spoiler: Simple Wargame Rules (click to show/hide)

To expand those, consider adding water vehicles, train stations and tracks, terrain rules, and other buildings. I didn't add fuel, because that seemed too fiddly. You could simplify it a lot by removing ammo but I felt that would be too simple.

It also needs scenarios with win conditions / point values for objectives. And either troop lists or a number of resource points you have to spend to buy different troops.

You could create custom scenarios by making up rules for how players take turns placing terrain and buildings to construct a map. I'd want to start with each player's units inside a deployment zone that's the same for every player, so they don't just take turns building an impenetrable base for themselves.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 07:18:52 pm »

From what I hear 4E D&D pretty much requires miniatures.  For one thing I think they got rid of real world measurement units and just started measuring in "squares".
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 08:41:50 pm »

Yeah, alot of people found fault with it for that. Not actually read the rules myself, but im pretty sure you could work it so you dont need the miniatures.

Also, while they say you need miniatures, that could mean an expensive, well painted metal mini, or a piece of paper with "orc #1" written on it. :P

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 11:04:56 pm »

Also, while they say you need miniatures, that could mean an expensive, well painted metal mini, or a piece of paper with "orc #1" written on it. :P

Used to do this back in the day when I played a lot of Battletech.

No game "requires" miniatures, I've used paper clips, dice, pieces of paper written on, tacks, those cool dudes from the old electronic football game and many other things.  As long as whatever you use has some way of showing the way it's facing, your good to go.