Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Globs of molten rock?  (Read 541 times)

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Globs of molten rock?
« on: December 21, 2009, 07:54:00 pm »

After releasing magma into the tunnel which supplies my magma-driven workshops, the rocks left behind in the show as "molten <whatever>" in the stocks screen... except for one rock, which is listed under "glob" as just "<rockname>", right alongside all of the fat and tallow.  What made the game decide that that particular rock was a glob?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Globs of molten rock?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 08:31:33 pm »

Because it was molten.

They serve no purpose, though if you drain the magma they will be cleaned up by dwarves with the "Cleaning" labor enabled. Otherwise, they'll go away at the change of season. Far as I can tell, they aren't actually useful, don't worry about it.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 09:11:25 pm »

But that was my point.  Most of the rock in the magma-tunnel is listed as molten, but one solitary rock is listed as a glob instead.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 09:40:02 pm »

Well, it probably froze again.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 11:38:09 am »

Huh, but it's under 7/7 magma.  I recall seeing magma flow in a way that left an empty 0/7 tiles between two 1/7 tiles, so I suppose it could have been covered by 1/7 magma, melted, then been uncovered and froze again.  But after shouldn't it melt again after being re-covered with magma?  Or does once-melted-re-frozen stone become magma-proof?