Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hermit Fortress Depression  (Read 3662 times)

roger123275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hermit Fortress Depression
« on: December 24, 2009, 07:44:29 am »

Merry Christmas Everyone!

I am currently working on my first hermit fort (inspired by Urist), and my lone dwarf is bordering on miserable from the loss/decay of a friend. Any tips on how to:
a. Stop the initial Unhappiness
and
b. Prevent it when his other friend dies.

Thanks in advance!
It gave me 56 dwarves to reclaim with... I'm hoping the game is just being nice to me...
Good job Roger!

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
Re: Hermit Fortress Depression
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 09:43:13 am »

Just have enough food ready, your hermit are going to tantrum a lot, but since its actions aren't going to affect others,a spiral aren't gonna start. I'm on my phone, so i cant find the topic, but i had a small hermit story in the story/community section, maybe you can derive something from it.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 10:12:32 am »

The one and only time I tried this, I looked through (before embarking) to find the dwarf that had the hardiest emotions and didn't like people. Sure enough, when they started, that dwarf had only one friend. I walled them off and made my hermit make herself some lovely furniture before they starved. Hematite table and chair, anyone? :3
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

roger123275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 11:23:53 am »

Update: His other friend is currently running about nude in the wild, babbling and throwing his socks at the others.

EDIT: Phew, false alarm. Although the other remaining one went beserk and struck the friend down, my hermit was only knocked down to Unhappy.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 11:43:31 am by roger123275 »
It gave me 56 dwarves to reclaim with... I'm hoping the game is just being nice to me...
Good job Roger!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 01:46:56 pm »

You've got to kill off the other dwarves as soon as you embark to prevent friendships.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 03:33:02 pm »

You've got to kill off the other dwarves as soon as you embark to prevent friendships.
They often start with friendships.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 04:04:06 pm »

Really? I haven't seen that on my hermit attempts.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 04:34:34 pm »

The best way I did this was killing them with Dwarf Companion. If you check dwarves as "dead", they'll "vanish from existance," AKA their body will disappear and no dwarf will have an unhappy thought.

But if you hate cheating, I wouldn't recommend it. :P

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 05:23:51 pm »

Hermit Forts are fun, but I tend to keep my starting seven, rather than killing all but one of them.

All of my migrants are screwed, though.

In my latest fort, I built a special starvation building. It's three levels tall, features an airlock so I don't have to worry about the crazies escaping when I put more in there, and is built entirely out of MICROLINE.

I call it the Sanitarium.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 07:43:45 pm »

i dont make a starvation room, i make an execution tower, making the other 6 dwarfs fall to their death by their own hand!.

from the size the tower looks like this.

Code: [Select]
....X--...
....X.....
....X.....
....X.....
....X.....
....X.....
....X.....
....X.....
~~~~X~~~~~

. is empty space

X is updown stairs
. is air
- is built floor.

I then recruit all other dwarves and shove them on the end of that built floor at the top.
i then designate the floor inbetween the floor that theyre standing on and staircase to be removed.
I then unrecruit the mason of the group and watch as he removes that floor.

Then i watch as they all plumet to their doom with a cave in message.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 08:38:20 pm »

Heh, I usually dig a down ramp in the ground and station them in there, then put a floor over it. Pretty effective most of the time.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 09:30:51 pm »

I tend to have more of a global airlock system... One lockable door into the hermit fort, one into a small pit for the others. I then draft the 6, put em in the pit, and lock them in. This lets me chop all the wood I will need (because honestly a hermit fort needs next to nothing, especially if magma is available). Once I am done, I reopen the small pit with my hermit nestled safely away in the fort and allow the others to run wild. This keeps them alive, sometimes for years if there are no goblins, as they survive off hunting vermin and groundwater. This will allow you time to give your hermit the legendary tomb, bedroom, and dining room to keep away any hint of sadness when the others finally find a way to off themselves.

Also, be sure to set your hermit to work immediately. This is important, since every second they stand at that wagon, they are getting acquainted with one another. Much more than a few seconds and they will all be friends. Drafting the others will probably help in this regard, although I personally prefer setting them to work moving the goods to the stockpile before putting them in their Pit of Impending Demise.