Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pearls  (Read 443 times)

uttaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The living will envy the dead
    • View Profile
Pearls
« on: December 21, 2009, 06:07:22 am »

This is a very small and random topic, do osyters drop pearls? and if not can I mod them so they do?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Pearls
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 06:44:16 am »

I'm reasonably sure that pearls are not a usable material in any capacity in this version. I don't think pearls are even in the game.

That's not to say that you couldn't get them in the game, but that's beyond the scope of Gameplay Questions and falls under Modding. If you want them in the game, the DF Modding subforum would be the place to check.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 06:56:02 am »

I'm reasonably sure that pearls are not a usable material in any capacity in this version. I don't think pearls are even in the game.

That's not to say that you couldn't get them in the game, but that's beyond the scope of Gameplay Questions and falls under Modding. If you want them in the game, the DF Modding subforum would be the place to check.
They're certainly (unless I'm completely mistaken, it's been a while) a possibility in the non-compulsary section of an individual's preferences.  I provisionally class them and coral as "biogem", in my own private (probably not completely accurate) classification system.

But then I've never really played a fortress next to the sea for long enough (though I have Adventure Moded through it, without noticing much in the way of fauna or flora).

Modding them in should work, even if it means subverting something else for the cause.  Exactly how, I'll leave up to the experts...

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 07:05:45 am »

Pearls do exist, but as is the case with ivory, there doesn't seem to be any system in place to make them mean anything yet.

As it's entirely possible that it's unknown what the actual classification for pearls and the like is (that is, I haven't heard of it), it's likely that the closest you'll be able to do is mod a smelter reaction that turns oysters/oyster remains into "pearl" gems. I might be wrong about whether the classification is known or not, mind.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 08:18:58 am »

but as is the case with ivory
As I've just mentioned my unofficial classification of "biogem", I might as well mention that horn and ivory both seem to inhabit the same slot in the possible-preferences list that I use, but that these are really two different things (hair[1] and tooth[2]).  And I haven't come up with a good word to properly encompass both horn and ivory.  Any ideas?

[1] Keratin/hair over bone for 'true' horn.  Keratin alone, bone alone, chitin or whatever for other variations classed as 'horns'.

[2] Dentine.