Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to have HFS on the same embark area as a chasm and a cave?  (Read 401 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've recently embarked on what I hope to be the perfect fortress for me. It's as large as it can be as I intend on spending time and effort into creating, hopefully, a sprawling capital for the civillisation.

Due to the fact that I dislike constantly referring to the HFS as HFS, I shall be using the correct terms. If you do not wish for your game to be spoiled, please, do not click the tag.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to have HFS on the same embark area as a chasm and a cave?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 06:22:29 pm »

They take up one local map square, not one region square. A local map square is 48x48 tiles in Fortress or Adventure mode.

You can have HFS in the same fort as your magma, chasm, and cave. However, if the HFS did not show up on the embark screen (assuming you had the option to show special features at embark turned on), you will not find HFS in this fort.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to have HFS on the same embark area as a chasm and a cave?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 07:00:24 pm »

They take up one local map square, not one region square. A local map square is 48x48 tiles in Fortress or Adventure mode.

You can have HFS in the same fort as your magma, chasm, and cave. However, if the HFS did not show up on the embark screen (assuming you had the option to show special features at embark turned on), you will not find HFS in this fort.

I have the "show special features at embark" option currently turned off, so I'm not entirely sure. However, thank you very much for the information that you have given and I shall make haste in the building of the fortress.