Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Spell and Spear - A 3d Roguelike - Total Overhaul  (Read 3251 times)

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Bit Dungeon - A 3d Roguelike
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 05:06:07 pm »

Any chance of you releasing a source code? It would be interesting to see it.

I very well may. I'm first going to set up a basic playable roguelike, then I'd have to clean up the code a great deal. This stuff is unfit for normal human eyes. The way I'm programming in objects and classes, you could build quite different roguelikes out of it. If you want to know, I use GameMaker, it speeds up the creation process a great deal.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 10:51:58 pm »

OK guys, these past few days have been spent planning and little else. After showing the system to some friends we have found that it works as a fun tabletop RPG. We are developing tabletop rules, so I will get alot of planning and balancing done before I spend time programming anything in. I may create a separate topic for the tabletop version, if any of you are interested.

And for those of you more interested in the digital version, I'll have an update ready by the end of the week, with equipment. I'm also considering a name change, to "Spell and Spear". It'll probably become a little more specific once I have a basic storyline.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 02:20:26 pm »

I support your plans to change the title, since, in retrospect, calling this game 8 bit dungeon would be like calling a sci-fi shooter "Mysterious 32-bit Space Ship".

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 10:38:53 pm »

I support your plans to change the title, since, in retrospect, calling this game 8 bit dungeon would be like calling a sci-fi shooter "Mysterious 32-bit Space Ship".
Sounds kinda like it's halfway between an engine and a game.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Spell and Spear - A 3d Roguelike
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 08:57:35 am »

Game maker is the engine, so I guess that makes classifying this confusing.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 04:43:46 pm »

What happened to this Jelly?
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 06:55:57 pm »

Sorry guys, I have a lot of stuff to do, with the holidays and all. I'm taking a small hiatus until after Christmas, then I'll start working on it again. I still have plenty of ideas stewing around in my head, and I plan on putting them into code. I'm not going to promise any time for a release, I don't want to feel confined. I just need a small break so I can build back up some momentum.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 12:14:25 am »

Ok guys, due to some unforseen problems with the inventory system, it is currently impossible for me to make items that can be used more than once. I've tried to fix it multiple ways, and none of them seem to work. I'm almost wanting to scrap what I have so far and start again. The character gen, inventory system, item generation, and dungeon generation all need a complete overhaul, and since that's all I have of the game so far, everything needs changing.

If nothing else, I have learned that I need to look a few steps ahead when I program.

On a slightly happier note, the Pen and Paper version of this game's system are coming along beautifully, so I will have the balance issues sorted out. I'd like to know what you all think of this, and whether or not I should keep what I have now or start over.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
Re: Spell and Spear - A 3d Roguelike (Total Overhaul?)
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 12:28:45 am »

That's up to you, really.

I'm leaning towards the reset button though,
 since at least you learned something from the whole thing,
 and it isn't a total waistband fitness.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
Re: Spell and Spear - A 3d Roguelike (Total Overhaul?)
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 11:51:33 pm »

Now I have a good dungeon generator, the up and down stairs will always be accessible. It works by placing a room at a random position, then grows rooms and halls out of other rooms and halls. It seems to be reasonably fast, and has never failed for me. Next step will be character generation, then I can make it all 3d.

Also, this time the code is nice and tidy. If anyone else here is using gamemaker, you can PM me and I will give you the source. (This is made in GameMaker 8, mind you.)

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
Re: Spell and Spear - A 3d Roguelike - Total Overhaul
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 10:32:49 am »

I'd be interested to know how you built a roguelike in gamemaker. I know enough gamemaker to build an AI for it, but I simply can't build an ASCII roguelike. I ended up reverting to QBasic for ASCII needs.

EDIT: nevermind, played the game and saw how simple it was. Now I think of it I feel kind of silly not being able to make a roguelike.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook
Pages: 1 [2]