Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Super ready  (Read 3106 times)

Dizzan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Super ready
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2009, 10:14:07 pm »

You hit the edge of the map, cant do anythign bout that.

Okie doke. Thought so. I just built it off to the side, and that seems to have worked just fine. Also was just visited by my first elven caravan. I made sure to trade my limeston goods and not the wooden bin they came in. Bout to get my outside farm up and running.

Oh, also, while digging to make a little path from my farm back inside, some wild non-hostile animals were running about, and I think my mine slaughtered one with his pickaxe, since there were trails of blood and no dead dwarves. I was like aww crap, blood, and realized I was fine lol.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2009, 11:41:55 pm »

Lol, yeah you sometimes get that... also you may get some random deaths which you cant explain later in the game.

Oh and btw, make a 1x1 meeting zone (i).
This will make any off-duty/idle dwarves go there and basically socilize.
Social skillz oddly enough increase stats... so a dwarf who has been idle for 2 years will become super.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Dizzan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2009, 08:15:13 am »

I am starting to feel a little overwhelmed. Had two migrations and all everyone is doing is standing there except my original 7 dwarves. I have 1 dwarf with a bad thought, which I hope won't break everything I have done so far. I have expanded the bottom of that map to the sides that I posted a picture of, and am now at around page 50 of the tutorial, where I am setting up my stockpile level.

Anyway to make everyone do something constantly? So they aren't idle? Also, is it okay for those parties to go out? I am guessing they are hunting, since they are obtaining deer and monkey somehow, lol.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2009, 09:32:18 am »

also economy is your best friend and leads to more immigrants.  if you are productive you can get immigrants your second season (i usually get about 5).  if you are really productive you can get 20+ imigrants after after the caravan
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2009, 02:49:00 pm »

Anyway to make everyone do something constantly? So they aren't idle?

You need to assign them useful jobs.

Press 'u' to get a list of your Dwarves. Select a Dwarf with the up-and-down arrows, and press 'c'. Then press 'p' and then 'l' to go to their Labor preferences. Use '+', '-', '*' and '/' to page through their Labor settings, and use <enter> to turn labors on and off.

If you need more Miners, make a few Picks and enable Mining labor on some Dwarves. If you need more Wood, make a few Axes and enable Woodcutting. Build more Workshops if you needs more Carpenters, Masons or Craftdwarves.
Never pet a burning dog.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2009, 03:05:45 pm »

You know enough, stop researching and just jump in. Honestly all you really need is a vague understanding of z-levels and an inquisitive mind to figure out the menu system.

You're not one of us until everyone has starved, drowned, been crushed in a cave-in, or murdered by goblins at least once.  ;D

Well, I haven't had anybody starve to death (some close calls though), but I have had somebody die of thirst. I'll say that counts.

RAMP?! Stairs are the way to go.

STAIRS?! Why use stairs when I can make everything more complicated than it has to be!?!

Dizzan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2009, 03:47:11 pm »

Ok, another update:

Had a kobold thief sneak in and out, I haven't seen him in a bit, so I am guessing he died. I had a dwarf go into a strange mood, and he was hanging out at a workshop for a while. Since I had no wardogs or any militia yet, he just ran around removing his clothes until he died. Luckily, he didn't have any family (I think). I attempted to make him a coffin, but I couldn't figure out how to designate it on the graveyard....so he is just chilling outside in the grave without a coffin.

How do I remove a item that is "built." For instance, I accidently built a bed in the middle of my works shops, and now there is a coffin in my main hallway?

Also, is it a good idea to deviate from the tutorial? Start my own fortress? I feel like I am a little congested in my main living area, since the map was tight to start with. I am about halfway through the tutorial, my next bits are traps and setting up a military, which I guess I should go through.

By the way, thanks again for all the help guys, really appreciate it.

Buddybud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2009, 04:43:06 pm »

I had a dwarf go into a strange mood, and he was hanging out at a workshop for a while.

pressing the (q) key then hovering over the workshop he is in would have shown you a vague list of the the things the dwarf needed to start work on his artifact. example "Cog Ohsinthob sketches pictures of stacked cloth" etc. Next pressing the (t) and hovering over the workshop will show you whatever materials are already gathered in the workshop. Looking at these two things plus a process of elimination will tell you somewhat accurately what he still needs to proceed. Double checking against this by pressing the (z) key and going to Stock will also help you figure out what you need if you're still having trouble.....if all else fails maddness insues.......argh!

I attempted to make him a coffin, but I couldn't figure out how to designate it on the graveyard
coffins don't go in the graveyard per se. the coffin is a seperate building. You can make room for it in your graveyard by clearing a bit of the graveyard for it or place it somewhere else. To remove a bit of graveyard press (p) then (x) and remove what you wish. Then place the coffin via the build menu (b) then (n). The settings for which are set up via the (q) after completion.

How do I remove a item that is "built." For instance, I accidently built a bed in the middle of my works shops, and now there is a coffin in my main hallway?
press the (q) key then hover over the building and pick (x)

I think thats right, hope it helps.....heh :P

In my humble opinion the gui is by far the worst part of this game. But once surmounted it will grant you vistas never seen before... ;D

Bud
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 04:48:07 pm by Buddybud »

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2009, 05:12:02 pm »

Ok, another update:

Had a kobold thief sneak in and out, I haven't seen him in a bit, so I am guessing he died. I had a dwarf go into a strange mood, and he was hanging out at a workshop for a while. Since I had no wardogs or any militia yet, he just ran around removing his clothes until he died. Luckily, he didn't have any family (I think). I attempted to make him a coffin, but I couldn't figure out how to designate it on the graveyard....so he is just chilling outside in the grave without a coffin.

Also, is it a good idea to deviate from the tutorial? Start my own fortress? I feel like I am a little congested in my main living area, since the map was tight to start with. I am about halfway through the tutorial, my next bits are traps and setting up a military, which I guess I should go through.

Go for it. The tutorial will still be there if you need to look up any specifics, but I'd say you're ready to set out on your own. Pick a similar starting location as the tutorial so it still feels familiar to you.

A note regarding your kobold visitor; when thieves and snatchers are discovered, they will attempt to flee. If they are successful in fleeing, they will exit your map and no longer 'exist' there as a unit. So, quite possibly, your sneaky little friend fled and was not killed. Civilian dwarves do not attempt to attack enemy units unless they are absolutely forced into a fight.

If you pressed 'a' after the kobold was discovered, you would probably see messages like "Urist cancels store item in stockpile: Interrupted by kobold thief". By the way, that 'a' is a very useful screen; check it often if things aren't going the way you expected, as it can provide useful clues as to what's going wrong.

And I have a tip for you. You may have noticed by now that you cannot quit the game without saving your progress. Occasionally, you may not want to save. To bypass this restriction, use the taskmanager (if you're running Windows) to close the dwarffort.exe process. Doing this causes no harm and simply lets you quit without saving your progress.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 05:16:28 pm by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2009, 06:48:08 pm »

Ok, another update:

Ok.
If you spotted the kobold then the kobold will instantly run away and wont carry on trying to steal stuff...
If you didnt spot the kobold and it stole something then a kobold attack party will come...
This is basically the same with snatchers and goblin theifs, although an attack party wont come...

To remove an item that is built, press q and go over to the thing that you want to remove and a screeen will come up, press x and it should be "Slated for removal".
To look what is IN an item or w/e that is built, press t and go over to the thing you want to see inside, it will give you a list of the things currently inside the workshop.
Some things have nothing beside the item name, which means not in use...
Some thing will have white beside their name meaning that its part of the building.
Some thigns will have a blue "task" beside it, meaning it is currently in use.

Using this, if you have strange moods you can encourage what type of item you want built by forbidding the items you dont want the item to be made out of.
This way you can make something that it wouldnt normally be made out of(kinda...) or just make the item way more valuable.

Yeah, deffinitly deviate from the tutorial.
Its good just to mess around once youve basically got the hang of what the tutorial says and a few functions of the game.
And starting your own fortress will allow you to reinforce the tutorial by actually giving you something random and differnt, teaching you to adapt to stuff and re-learn and remember thigns...

Yea, deffinitly go through traps and setting up military though, otherwise youll get murdered by goblins...

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---

kungasi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2009, 07:07:54 pm »

first, i wanna say that im a noob at DF much like you, and second, go for it, only time i've used a tutorial was when i was searching around on how to dig (yes, i know, epic fail, turns out it was [d]>[d])
after that, i just had fun with it (not the losing fun, the ****!!! WHY THE **** WONT THEY DO ANYTHING?!?!?! RRRRAAAAWWWWRRRR RRRRRRRAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGEEEEE!!!!!) numerous forts were abandoned, though i did manage to somehow survive long enough to see the (crappy) elven caravan show up

and it was on that same fort that the dwarven caravan showed up as most of my initial 7 dwarves were getting hungry (there was nothing to eat, cause the stupid farmer would plant the friggin seeds -.-) and the dwarven caravan had MEAT!! I WAS SAVED!!!! though that fort was shortly abandoned because i gave them stuff to do, and they just milled around the meeting zone i had  >:(

also, never underestimate the usefulness of a novice appraiser when trading, otherwise, you'll only see the weight of items you want to trade (novice appraiser lets you see the value of said items)

and can someone tell me how cage traps work? ???
Your a dwarf dammit! The game gives you a challenge and you over come it in the most confusing and resource expending way possible!

Dizzan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2009, 07:13:53 pm »

Will my new fortress, if I make one, keep the same tileset? Because I really REALLY like the one the tutorial gives me.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2009, 08:58:07 pm »

Will my new fortress, if I make one, keep the same tileset? Because I really REALLY like the one the tutorial gives me.

The tileset in the tinypirate tutorial is the mayday tileset.  Tilesets apply to the whole game, so starting a new fort has no change on the appearance of the game.  If you want to get the newest version of the mayday tileset check out http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2009, 10:55:26 pm »

LE GIANT SNIP~
and can someone tell me how cage traps work? ???

Whad'ya mean how cage traps work?

You need mechanisms to form the base.
And then you have to make the cage.
Wooden ones in carpenter shops
and steel ones in forge.

The mechy will then load the cage trap.
Then tada! a cage trap!
When an enemy that isnt trap immune goes on the tile it will be caged.
When ANYTHING even if it is trap immune, when knocked unconcious on the tile will be caged.
Thus meaning you can cage anything basically.

Build an animal stockpile and cages and caged creatues will be brought to the stockpile.
To build a cage (out of a cage trap) press b then j.
Once this is done you can either chuck things in or release thigns via the q menu on the building.
---
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]