Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lasher whipping through floors?  (Read 1182 times)

GreatZamboni

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Lasher whipping through floors?
« on: December 18, 2009, 05:15:24 am »

Forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere - I tried the search function and didn't turn anything up.

There's currently a goblin lasher on the surface four z-levels above my fortress dormitory, and he's somehow contriving to interrupt the dwarves in the dormitory and seems to be whipping my dwarves to death through four z-levels of solid stone. Um... how should I respond to this? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: When he killed one of my dwarves (who had been resting in his quarters) he also pulled the dwarf's corpse up through those four z-levels so that the corpse was on the same tile the lasher was.

EDIT 2: When I finally killed him - he was a dwarf, not a goblin; guess he was a kidnapped baby - he was wearing more than five identical sets of chain-over-leather armor and over 20 different amulets, 40 rings, 40 earrings, etc - it looked like many, many duplicates of the same set of gear. This is officially the weirdest invader I've ever dealt with.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 05:35:00 am by GreatZamboni »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Lasher whipping through floors?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 08:39:06 am »

The many pages of trinkets is something typical of worldgen squad leaders - every time they kill something, they automatically make a craft out of its bones or skin, so a creature with a massive kill list will have a ridiculous number of rings, amulets, and earrings on it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 09:12:09 am »

That's also something that's handy in adventurer mode. If you retire and come back, you will have a random trinket for every one of your kills; including random wolves, sentient creatures and anything else.

Then, sell them for great profit!
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 09:40:48 am »

I think wou will need to retire in a goblin tower to get the ones for sapient creatures as well.

I realy dont have any idea what happened with that lasher dwarf though. Never had anything remotely like it, nor heard of it. Did you do any modding or did you use utilities like dwarf companion?
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 10:27:30 am »

The dwarves spamming cancel messages is fairly common in open air dormitories, but lashing someone through 4 z-levels is something else. Are there any unusual things at all about your map or DF game?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 10:43:22 am »

Sounds like a bug. Report it in the bugs forum.

Also, save that game and look up the dwarf lasher in legends. Sounds interesting.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 11:54:16 pm »

The only related bug I've heard was one where a dragon with Building Destroyer 2 was able to destroy buildings from above through 1 level of constructed floor.  Perhaps these are related?
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 02:57:44 am »

Sounds a lot like the similar thing of a flying creature attacking something XX Z-levels down and bringing it up to flying creature height and dropping. Seems to be a "grab" attack sorta deal. Does a whip grab a creature by chance?

Is it natural flooring/walls between where he attacked?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 06:11:46 am »

Yes, this might be connected to another bug where dwarves can supposedly melee enemy units flying several z-levels directly above them, and perhaps even to the bug where dwarves regard stones several z-levels directly above them as closer than stones a few squares away on the same z-level.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 08:32:58 am »

and perhaps even to the bug where dwarves regard stones several z-levels directly above them as closer than stones a few squares away on the same z-level.

That is a pathing problem. When determining distance, z-tiles count as equivalents of x- or y-tiles, regardless of how far away stairs or ramps are. Just clarifying here, not saying that it couldn't be related to the other bugs that have been described.