Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Obsidian floodgates will block magma, right?  (Read 2464 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian floodgates will block magma, right?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 08:34:47 pm »

The mod is Molten Rocks, and a link to it can be found in one of the two threads stickied to the top of the modding subforum.  The values it adds to the stone are as realistic as can be determined from the sources the makers have found, so it's less modding and more adding in something Toady hasn't had time for yet.

If you decide to go with modding, you may as well look at the other one of those two stickied threads as well.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 08:36:51 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

DaMunky89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 09:52:50 pm »

Eh. I think I'm going to keep playing vanilla DF until I'm more comfortable with the mechanics of the game in its completely unaltered state. ^_^;

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 09:58:53 pm »

The only times you'll need bauxite is if you want to do something complicated like an obsidian farm or magma defense. Otherwise, you can just dig a magma tunnel and use it for magma fueled forging, the only danger is fire imps. A constructed fortification (which is indestructible, even if you carve it out of bituminous coal) or magma proof bars/grates will keep the imps out, or you can have some funtm and let your smiths fight them. They aren't that strong, the only danger is their fire attack.

Just be careful, undead imps can break bars or grates (fortifications are indestructible) and are much more aggressive. They're also significantly harder to kill - though they're still puny. For future reference.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 10:36:18 pm »

Alright, thanks a lot guys. Really excited about making some magma forges now.

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 05:48:47 am »

Constructed fortifications are not indestructible. I once built some out of rhyolite, and it melted when magma flew through it (it turned into smooth floor). However, fortifications in natural walls are indestructible.

Fire imps are really not that tough. I could defeat one by drafting a peasant who got attacked by it. As long as the imp doesn't hit your dwarf with its fire attack, you are fine. Stationing some marksdwarves near the magma tunnel is also a good idea.

More complicated contraptions can also be built without bauxite, though it is a bit more complicated. Just use pumps instead of floodgates to regulate magma flow. If you turn off the power, the magma won't flow. Beware that magma coming out from pumps will be pressurized though. And gear assemblies react differently if more then one lever is connected to them than floodgates.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 06:17:33 am »

Constructed fortifications are not indestructible. I once built some out of rhyolite, and it melted when magma flew through it (it turned into smooth floor). However, fortifications in natural walls are indestructible.

I don't know where you got this idea, but you're wrong. I can guarentee that my [c]onstructed fortifications don't melt.

Edit; also, you can't have built a fortification, as all constructions turn smoothed rock they're built on into unsmoothed (try it with some floors). You probably built a grate.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 10:48:15 am »

I built a fortification, because I knew grates would melt. I built them from the stones directly underneath them on the floor. And it melted.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 12:04:11 pm »

That would be a bug/glitch... everything under <b-C> is  completely indestructable, including <F>ortification (except for cave-ins or deconstruction with <d-n>). I've used almost every random kind of stone in magma and none did melt. And I heard of people constructing walls and floors of ice blocks that held back magma.
I suspect, whatever you did, you did not press <b-C-F> to build the fortification or it wasn't finished, when the magma came and melted the rock lying around, making you believe, the fortification melted.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 05:50:08 pm »

Did you actually look at it with "k"?  'Cause I'm thinking you just saw the dark red wavy lines and assumed that meant it melted, when it really means that it has magma flowing through it.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2009, 03:05:14 am »

I looked at it. OK, I looked at it again. It really didn't melt. Just because that stupid narrow window said "whatever F", and I supposed it is "Floor" and not "Fortification".
Pages: 1 [2]