Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: weird, sort of procrastinating or undecided grower behavior  (Read 1542 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: weird, sort of procrastinating or undecided grower behavior
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 09:10:29 am »

Legendary dwarves will seek out items they like. If your Legendary miner likes warhammers, and has a weapon rack, he may acquire one.
Technically, this won't happen for any weapon your military is capable of using, as usable weapons can never be put up for sale. However, unusable weapons (such as mauls, pikes, whips, and bows, as well as arrows) are fair game, which can get quite annoying if you want to use them in weapon traps.

There are also several personality traits which will influence which social skills the dwarf can gain - for example, unassertive dwarves won't get Persuader skill, and dwarves who are not straightforward when dealing with others are the only ones that gain Liar skill (and will never become Consolers).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 09:24:38 am »

• In practice, social dwarves don't make good soldiers while antisocial ones do.

Only two of those were for personality traits, the rest were preferences (the green items).  But could you explain the one about antisocial dwarfs not making good soldiers?

I can verify that dwarfs seek preferred items during economy.  I don't know what happens if they can't afford it and something cheaper is available, but I haven't seen any non-legendary dwarf actually buy something.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 09:31:36 am »

Edit: Woops, I broke the quoting...
Quote from: assimilateur
For this reason, I'll automatically de-job the First Aid item from any dwarf exhibiting those adverse inclinations.  [...]

That's too much micromanagement for me. I mean, I will look at my dwarves' personalities, but mostly for fun, and couldn't be arsed to keep the unhelpful from doing healthcare. Even if they get a bad thought from it, not only do I expect it to be fully compensated by all the conveniences in my fort, but I don't feel any obligation towards avoiding bad thoughts that are essentially caused by a dwarf being a dick.
Well, I'm in there anyway, for all my original seven and all migrants as they arrive, obsessively spreadsheeting their abilities and skill levels and [dis]inclinations.  While I'm there, typing it all in, it seems that micromanaging the healthcare item away is trivial!

I forget why I've been doing that, now.  Possibly it was either so I could calculate the chances of various options coming up, the hard way, or so that I could write something like the following (long, but reasonably accurate) parody, which has been sitting on my USB stick for ages:

Starver has been fine lately.
He is apatheistic, agnostic and softly atheist.
He is a citizen of The United Kingdom.  He is a member of The Bay12
forums

Starver likes Silicon,  copper,  liquid crystal,  denim,  desks, computer games,
anti-virus programs and panoramic views for their width and depth of field. When
possible he prefers to consume chicken, camembert and Irn-Bru.

He has a calm demeanor.  He never becomes angry.  He often feels discouraged. He
is self-conscious.  He occasionally overindulges. He becomes completely helpless
in stressful situations.  He is somewhat reserved.  He tends to avoid crowds. He
prefers that others handle the leadership roles. He is relaxed. He is not a risk
taker.  He is bored  by reality and has  a wonderful imagination.  He can easily
become absorbed in art and the beauty of the natural world. He is mostly unaware
of his own emotions and rarely expresses them.  He prefers familiar routines. He
is entranced by  riddles and puzzles  and loves to debate  issues and ideas.  He
admires  tradition.   He  is  naturally  trustful  of  everybody.   He  is  very
straightforward with others.  He is truly  fulfilled by assisting those in need.
He dislikes confrontation. He would never claim to be better than somebody else.
He does not feel effective in life.  He is very disorganized.  He has a sense of
duty.  He strives for excellence.  He has very little self-discipline.  He often
does the first thing that comes to mind.  He likes working outdoors and grumbles
only mildly at the inclement weather.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 05:40:33 am by Starver »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 01:54:25 pm »

• In practice, social dwarves don't make good soldiers while antisocial ones do.

Only two of those were for personality traits, the rest were preferences (the green items).  But could you explain the one about antisocial dwarfs not making good soldiers?

I can verify that dwarfs seek preferred items during economy.  I don't know what happens if they can't afford it and something cheaper is available, but I haven't seen any non-legendary dwarf actually buy something.

Simple, antisocial dwarves won't make a bazillion friends, so when they die you won't have 50 of your fort's population depressed about it.
A social dwarf that is everyone's friend will cause that.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.
Pages: 1 [2]