Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarves: Butchers of internets?[Plot spoilers for those who didn't watch Avatar]  (Read 1928 times)

dnabios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is an interesting idea.  The movie itself did have a pretty ham-handed message to it, but if you can stomach that without flinching or rolling your eyes at the cornier lines (un-obtanium, anyone?) it is worth the price of admission.  Just realize you're paying for the visuals, not the plotline.  The aliens apparently live in an LED forest and the network trees look kind of like willows with LED light strings for branches.  The humans don't appear to see these.  I kind of like the idea of elves seeing everything plantlike as if it was covered in LED lights.  It makes the sudden darkening when you cut down a tree or bulldoze a clearing seem more dramatic than if you look at it as merely cutting lumber for housing or clearing land for farming, and sets the issue ripe for conflict.  In this case, the trees had nerve fibers so their roots could interact, but you could rig something up with elven magic if you liked.

Oh, and the movie seems to imply they reproduce via the same method as humans.  At least, if the position the two main characters wake up in is any indication.  But I digress.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You know, maybe thats how they find out how many trees you have cut and whether you exceed the quota!

Those skulking elves! lol

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Hehe, I had almost forgot about unobtainium. For all the care they took in making the graphics amazing in the movie, they didn't even bother coming up with a decent name for the mineral they were going after in the first place!
Pages: 1 [2]