Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: question about animals  (Read 1815 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: question about animals
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 08:19:03 pm »

I'll probably do that soon, but can anything happen to the game that could ruin it that I should look for?

You mean regarding that unicorn breeding operation, or in general? If you mean regarding unicorns, then in my experience they haven't been dangerous. I mean, they probably have the potential to wreak havoc, but they normally prefer to retreat instead of standing their ground when threatened. I guess hunting them might potentially be dangerous, because if any number of them did in fact decide to defend themselves, then your hunter would be in trouble. Just putting down cage traps near their grazing grounds shouldn't be too dangerous.

If you mean in general, then there certainly are dangers in this game. For one, you can flood your fortress with water or magma if you're not careful, or you could suffer heavy casualties from goblin ambushes (or later, sieges) if you don't trap your entrance or use a military.

For more general tips I refer you to the wiki or the following tutorial: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=31928.0. It has helped me a lot when I first started the game, and it wasn't even boring or anything, which you would normally expect from a tutorial.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 08:20:53 pm by assimilateur »

tylerb1230

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 08:36:59 pm »

I'm actually using that tutorial while playing in my own world I randomly generated, it's very helpful. Although, what I was wondering was if me changing that file could make the unicorns not spawn or something along the lines of that.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 08:46:25 pm »

Although, what I was wondering was if me changing that file could make the unicorns not spawn or something along the lines of that.

If you take care not to make a typo or accidentally delete something, then I'm sure the modifications described in this thread are safe, assuming I correctly remember which ones we were talking about.

Let me go over them:
[PET] and [CHILD:1][CHILDNAME:unicorn foal:unicorn foals] are tags I've recently added to my unicorns mid-game, and they worked without a hitch (to be precise I had put in calf instead of foal, but now I realize that a unicorn is basically a horned horse, so foal is the correct term for its young; of course, that's irrelevant, as the game will work with any name you put in there, assuming you use proper formatting as above). [trAINABLE] is something I hadn't used in a relatively long time, but I'm almost positive that it will work. If you want to be 100% sure (as I can vouch for the pet and child tags, but not for the trainable one), you can first add only the first two tags, catch and tame some unicorns, save and backup the game, and only then add the last tag and test if you can train war or hunting unicorns at the kennel.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 09:55:08 pm »

I don't think I've ever embarked in an area with unicorns since 40d so I'm not sure. Good biomes aren't my thing xP
Pages: 1 [2]