Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Engineering a trap for nobles  (Read 2229 times)

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Engineering a trap for nobles
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 06:54:36 am »

@Shades: The easiest way is building a lever, assigning it to the noble in question via the <P> menu and setting it to be pulled. It's also the only dependable way I know of.

I agree it's the easiest way but it also requires manual interaction which is why I asked if anyone knew an activity or the like only nobles do so we can attempt to isolate them auto-magically.

There's nothing that only nobles do that you don't have to assign them to or give orders for.  Their distinguishing feature is their LACK of tasks they will do, rather than having any unique ones.  I think they will harvest food if All dwarves harvest is on, but then so will all your other dwarves.  They don't claim certain rooms that other dwarves wouldn't also claim, if they claim rooms at all (I thought they had to be assigned? or do they sleep in unclaimed beds in the hall and then complain about their new bedroom?).  They can make demands and have dwarves hammered or jailed even if they are sealed in a 1x1 pit in the far corner of your map.  I think this is why people hate them so much, they can't be made ineffective, only killed.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 07:06:38 am »

I wonder if you can abuse the inactivity some how, say if you had a statue room far enough away that your normal, productive, dwarf will pick up a new job before he reaches it and so only nobles will get there.

Obviously this probably wouldn't be good enough because dwarves are often idle but you get the idea :)

There has to be something sneaky you can do with one-way corridors, some kind of immigration filter that everything uses to go in but only those dwarves with jobs move out (via another one-way corridor) to the work area. Then you trap the food source near the immigration area.

Kind of a stream of thought post here, but maybe someone else can see a solution from my ramblings.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 10:14:56 am »

Nobles do sit around in their rooms, doing nothing quite often. Building a pressure plate trap on the only way to the room, should work, as no other dwarf should enter a nobles room randomly (at least, if  there's nothing inside, that could generate a job)
Think of this:

^+++++d->to noble's room

^=pressure plate, connected to...
+=bridge (a lot longer than displayed; 15-20 tiles should be enough for anybody)

Urist McUselessNoble walks over the pressure plate on the way to his room, the bridge opens 100 ticks later, dropping him into whatever you like, preferably magma.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 10:38:40 am »

Nobles do sit around in their rooms, doing nothing quite often. Building a pressure plate trap on the only way to the room, should work, as no other dwarf should enter a nobles room randomly (at least, if  there's nothing inside, that could generate a job)
Think of this:

But again you have to assign them a room manually, and if you leave it unassigned there is a chance another dwarf will try and sleep there.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 12:16:22 pm »

Well, Yeah, if you find assigning rooms or workshops to specific dwarves to much intervention, there is no way to divide them, no matter if it is a noble, regular worker, military or something else. When thinking like that, even giving work orders is intervening and should not be allowed... and dwarves will do nothing at all, without you telling them to do something, that's how they work.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 12:21:06 pm »

For this trap, not for general game play.

If you assign to a room you may as well stick with the level system as it's the same amount of interaction.
Pages: 1 [2]