Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: AsciiMan Current version 0.026  (Read 2340 times)

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AsciiMan Current version 0.026
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2009, 05:03:52 pm »

Method over at my blog.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2009, 06:14:13 pm »

I am very impressed.
Quite the cave system you have there.

If it had an LOS, I'd have fun exploring and revealing all the cave passageways.
Especially since some aren't connected and can be found by digging through the walls.

Your game is very promising.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2009, 07:30:54 pm »

For anyone else who couldn't find a link to alfie's blog: http://alfie275.blogspot.com/

That's a good method, I've played around with the same setup.  You can try giving different directions different weights for some interesting results, but a lot of them end up with some crazy oscillators.  That method can also give oscillators, so watch out if you are trying to wait for it to converge to a stable map.  As an extension, I've considered generating a small section of map, then finding out what bits connect to the outside, and generating an adjacent map with that same boundary.  Then if it happens to terminate unexpectedly, like it doesn't connect to any more edges, you could just regenerate that small section instead of trying to regenerate the entire map and hoping it won't have the same issue.  Apart from generating the typical cave pattern, it would allow you to make an "infinite dungeon" without placing stairs.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2009, 09:15:10 pm »

The caves look awesome!  Do you plan on trying to connect them?

Is there any particular reason you still have the cursor enabled?  The line to remove it is just:
curs_set(0);
Although if there's a reason for it then by all means ignore this part of the post :P
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.
Pages: 1 2 [3]