Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Nannies and daycare centers  (Read 1524 times)

Datablue

Re: Nannies and daycare centers
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 02:49:00 am »

Perhaps you could instead choose between the new mother OR father.  Whichever is least useful.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 04:47:21 pm »

Bumping.  Checked the dev pages, and since this wasn't on it, and since I'm not making a whole new thread, I'm going to get yelled at anyway  ;)

A daycare/nursery for our bouncing baby dwarves is definently needed, especially when it comes to female military dwarves.  A "nanny" job could be added and experience could be gained from a dwarf performing the job (hey if bookkeeping can get a dwarf to max strength, toughness, and agility, then taking care of babies definently can).  The job would entail feeding, watering, and boozing the infants.  A Nursery could be designated using a bed, although of course you'd need more than one bed to make the nursery work effectively.  Infants would be kept in the nursery and would be visited from time to time by their parents and siblings for happy thoughts all around.  Infants would remain in the nursery until they become a child, and then they can roam free from there.

Oh yeah.  Make children steal your precious stone toys from your finished goods stockpile to play with :P

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 07:12:45 pm »

Burrows in the next version: Set a burrow for all female dwarves (and spouse) to live in once they are married and are having children. Then tell the same burrow that all children are restricted to, or create a second burrow that allows only children.
You now have a children-only "nursery"
/thread
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 12:46:05 am »

The thing I don't like about nursery and day-care solutions is they don't feel time-period appropriate.  I'd favor a system built around extended family members sharing the task of Child care.  I've made some suggestions to establish large clan structures in the community starting with the first 7 as your 'founding clan'.  A new room called a 'Clan hall' which functions a bit like a barracks/meeting hall just for the members of the clan, any children can stay their and be 'minded' by adults on break, their could even be a Parenting task that gets frequently assigned to the Parents and occasionally to relations and clan mates.  The children will generally stay in the Clan halls, though I do like the idea of them running away at time if their is insufficient supervision but adults of any strip and especially the fortress guard will forcibly return them to the hall.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 07:20:41 am »

Considering that the burrows system is coming up, will it be possible to order al children to stay within one burrow deep within the fort and have haulers bring food and drink over as necessary?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 02:33:55 pm »

The thing I don't like about nursery and day-care solutions is they don't feel time-period appropriate.  I'd favor a system built around extended family members sharing the task of Child care.  I've made some suggestions to establish large clan structures in the community starting with the first 7 as your 'founding clan'.  A new room called a 'Clan hall' which functions a bit like a barracks/meeting hall just for the members of the clan, any children can stay their and be 'minded' by adults on break, their could even be a Parenting task that gets frequently assigned to the Parents and occasionally to relations and clan mates.  The children will generally stay in the Clan halls, though I do like the idea of them running away at time if their is insufficient supervision but adults of any strip and especially the fortress guard will forcibly return them to the hall.
For the time being, letting them spend time in the meeting hall would be a start. The idea that children need "supervising" is an early modern myth, to justify the expansion of schooling. Earlier, they would naturally seek the company of their family, play in their presence, and later help them do chores. In game terms, children ought to do hauling tasks, or hang around their family members and get some skill points from seeing them work.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 05:11:56 pm »

You have a point, I wasn't trying to imply modern school but some more informal state of adult-child interactions ware adults on break are simply socializing the children.  Like when your grand-father dose some simple magic tricks or tells a story, personality traits could be transferred in the process.  The game badly needs to split Child into Adolescent and Child with the Children doing no work and the adolescents accompanying and helping their parents (or engaging in apprenticeships with others).   

I'd avoid letting Children run free because its not very sensible for Dwarves, while humans might let their children run free they live on the surface ware danger is ever present and reproduction is much faster, Dwarves reproduce more slowly (at least in the majority of the literature) and have well fortified living places, it simply makes no sense for Dwarves not to have a very protective attitude toward the young.  I can't image children being allowed to leave the fort without their parents.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download
Pages: 1 [2]