Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miner-killer trees  (Read 1194 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Miner-killer trees
« on: December 16, 2009, 01:24:56 am »

Trees should be destroyed when they are "ramped" from below, rather than simply continuing to exist as they are; if miners are clearing out a large area at once, they inevitably isolate a tree, which collapses- inevitably onto the miner. I've lost a dozen miners in one fortress to these killers- it makes simple trench-digging less safe than coal mining next to a magma vent!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: Miner-killer trees
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 01:50:43 am »

Er... well, it seems to me that you could just cut down the trees above your trenches, if it's that big of a problem?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 01:56:20 am »

The problem is that trees grow somewhat faster than you can mine out underneath them.

I'm just saying that heavy-duty micromanagement shouldn't be necessary when digging surface trenches.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 04:37:02 am »

Yes please. This is a frustrating mechanic, because it's not immediately obvious what happened. The game just says "Died in a cave-in" or whatever the message is, not that a tree grew where there wasn't a tree before, and the miner died when he tried to dig under it.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 05:22:26 am »

If you dug from underneath a tree it would eventually fall, but it'd probably just slowly slide into the ground or something. It shouldn't be fatal though, so I support this. I suggest trees that are no longer supported just turn into logs to imply some sort of conservation of mass, but DF already laughs in the face of physics so it's not that big of a deal.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 08:47:10 am »

Actually... after cutting tree's that have tipped over with a ball of dirt on their roots... I can assure you the thought of a tree killing a miner as it falls on them is perfectly plausible.

but...

I think an auto designate zone where if any tree grew it would be instantly chopped by the nearest chopper would be a good addition to the game.

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.