Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: An Elven King I Can Deal With, But I Draw The Line At...  (Read 1988 times)

Kavalion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An Elven King I Can Deal With, But I Draw The Line At...
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 05:31:18 pm »

He must be a legendary liar!  He's got the whole dwarf civilization hoodwinked.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 05:50:23 pm »

Regen the world, but keep it going.
Find out when his death would occur.
Regen to the year before his death, and embark. The world stands still after worldgen is over.

Get king and post screenshots!

Unfortunately, I can't do that. When I regen the world, all names are changed. So it is impossible to find out who is the "Mato The Gobbo King".
Huh?  It shouldn't work that way.  If you use the same parameters and same seeds (generation, name, & history seeds), you should get the exact same results every time.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 06:16:34 pm »

Regen the world, but keep it going.
Find out when his death would occur.
Regen to the year before his death, and embark. The world stands still after worldgen is over.

Get king and post screenshots!

Unfortunately, I can't do that. When I regen the world, all names are changed. So it is impossible to find out who is the "Mato The Gobbo King".
Huh?  It shouldn't work that way.  If you use the same parameters and same seeds (generation, name, & history seeds), you should get the exact same results every time.

Hm, I must be doing it wrong. I've gotten the same world, same name for it, same layout. Apparently the same history, but when I did a string search for the name it didn't come up.

Edit: Found what I was doing wrong, when I copied it over from the exported folder, one of the Seeds got changed (Probably an inadvertant button press.).

Edit 2: I regenned the world. Up to year 10000. And sadly, Mato doesn't die, so I am pursuing alternatives, if I kill him in adventure/fortress mode, then abandon/retire/starve, and then I go in to fortress mode, will they have found a replacement?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 06:33:24 pm »

Hold on a sec, Daniel Craig.  Maybe he's gotten more awesome in those extra couple thousand years?  We must know  first!  ;D
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 06:52:11 pm »

He must be a legendary liar!  He's got the whole dwarf civilization hoodwinked.
Note his surname, "Sicknesslie". He must've started out as a Dabbling Liar by getting days off work.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 08:03:11 pm »

Cacame was awesome because he was an Elf, the mortal enemy of a dwarf, that not only adopted the dwarven mentality but became the embodiment of it.  He led his nation to war against their hated foe, avenged his wife's death with the destruction of an entire civilization (how's THAT for a tantrum?), and though incapable of growing a true beard, his soul had a beard that would have put most dwarves to shame.

Though it's unusual Wraith became a dwarven leader, Goblins don't really inspire the same loathing as elves, being primarily regarded as the third iron ore and a little more than a minor irritant to skilled leaders.  Although the death rate among goblins makes his 2000+ year lifespan somewhat impressive, one can't help but be reminded by the fact that this was likely due to the fact that he just didn't do much.

Which, I suppose, makes him Dwarven, so long as you're thinking about the nobles.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 08:14:10 pm »

Cacame was awesome because he was an Elf, the mortal enemy of a dwarf, that not only adopted the dwarven mentality but became the embodiment of it.  He led his nation to war against their hated foe, avenged his wife's death with the destruction of an entire civilization (how's THAT for a tantrum?), and though incapable of growing a true beard, his soul had a beard that would have put most dwarves to shame.

Though it's unusual Wraith became a dwarven leader, Goblins don't really inspire the same loathing as elves, being primarily regarded as the third iron ore and a little more than a minor irritant to skilled leaders.  Although the death rate among goblins makes his 2000+ year lifespan somewhat impressive, one can't help but be reminded by the fact that this was likely due to the fact that he just didn't do much.

Which, I suppose, makes him Dwarven, so long as you're thinking about the nobles.

I can't resist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prDCDmchtTg&feature=related

Note mildly violent content.  ;D
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2009, 08:24:43 pm »

A thought. If you provoke war with dwarves (as another race if necessary) could you harvest steel bars the same way we harvest goblinite?

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 08:38:36 pm »

Dance, magic dance, mag-ic dance, magic dance, mag-ic-
PUT THAT BABYS SPELL ON ME!  SLAP THAT BABY!  MAKE HIM FREE!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 09:33:11 pm »

Goblinite isn't just the fourth iron ore, it's the most valuable ore in the game.  You mine it with the military, and much of its product, though otherwise useless, can be very useful for trade without any further processing beyond the initial harvest.  On top of that, some of the iron product is pre-shaped into exotic weapons the dwarves can't make.
Just so I remember

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2009, 10:29:48 pm »

A thought. If you provoke war with dwarves (as another race if necessary) could you harvest steel bars the same way we harvest goblinite?

Well, Dig Deeper orcs are my preferred ore of steel and crucible steel, so I'd say it's reasonable.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2009, 03:46:14 am »

Or maybe even adamantine?
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul
Pages: 1 [2]