Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Child labor  (Read 1869 times)

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
Re: Child labor
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 04:16:37 pm »

IIRC, in 2d, they'd raise skills with toys.

Do they still do that?
I believe it's been commented on that toys do absolutely nothing right now.

I didn't play 2d, but it sounds like there were an awful lot of interesting things that went on in 2d that don't happen anymore.

2d to 3d was a damn big change.  If I understand correctly, it was the last release that broke saves prior to the release we're seeing coming up.

Should we be expecting to see a lot of interesting features in the 'current' game similarly evaporate in the next release?

Actually, this one looks to be the opposite-from what I hear, it's actually returning some of 2D's functionality, plus some new stuff like hygiene (woohoo, no more tracking eight pages of goblin blood and miscellaneous mud!) and changes to the military-for example, legendary fighters are just legendary fighters; the champion will be a specific dude chosen by the nobles.

I'd have to read the devlog, though. Haven't done that in a while, should kill a few hours.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 04:22:33 pm »

Well, the pits, chasms, UG rivers and UG poois, as we know them will be gone. However, UG rivers and pools as an UG water source will still exist since there are going to be UG lakes and possibly rivers.

The bottomless pit/chasm tile is rumored to still exist in some form, possibly HFS. The combat system and wounds have been redone. Its not so much that alot of features will 'evaporate' than be redone/improved.

Carp have reportedly been dethroned (not confirmed however says this reporter) with Elephants possibly regaining their old glory back in the days of Boatmurdered.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 07:30:38 pm »

Children spend all their time training for future military duty, obviously.  Sitting around in the meeting hall = training social skills = attribute farming.  By the time those kids grow up they could be close to legendary in all social skills which means all you have to do is send them to the pump gym for a season and their ready for permanent military service. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 09:51:16 pm »

Silhouette mcdwarf has fallen into a fey mood!

Silhouette claims a computer with DF on it.

Silhouette starts working furriously at the raws.

Silhouette has made an artifact of pure awsome.
"Using children as a fuel source"
It is made from the raws, is encircled with bands of evil. It menaces with spikes of pigtail.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 10:33:28 pm »

Should we be expecting to see a lot of interesting features in the 'current' game similarly evaporate in the next release?

Not meaning to derail the thread, just replying to the question.

As far as I've heard, features that were more bug exploits than actual features will be removed. I'm having a total brainfart right now and I cannot think of any examples, I am sorry, but that's as far as I've heard. I don't really know all that much though, because I haven't read what Toady was planning to update in a while, but, I'm pretty sure what I said is correct.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 09:25:03 am »

I just got an idea for a sort of apprenticeship-type setup, where children will watch (and learn from) a dwarf performing a certain job (carpentry, masonry, weaponsmithing, etc., determined by the child's interests), gaining a small amount of experience toward that skill. Occasionally, the child will practice on his/her own, using materials and an unused workshop to make a product, gaining normal experience for the task. However, you won't be able to assign the labor to the child until he/she grows up.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 10:58:49 am »

I just got an idea for a sort of apprenticeship-type setup, where children will watch (and learn from) a dwarf performing a certain job (carpentry, masonry, weaponsmithing, etc., determined by the child's interests), gaining a small amount of experience toward that skill. Occasionally, the child will practice on his/her own, using materials and an unused workshop to make a product, gaining normal experience for the task. However, you won't be able to assign the labor to the child until he/she grows up.

What if the child decides to practice with those platinum bars lying around?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Macalano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2009, 11:11:38 am »

I make all of my children Melties. (Which is my custom Furnace Operator only job. Since I have my raws edited to melt away all the useless stone, I end up with a lot of smelters that need stoking.)

Halfway through the sentence I got an entirely different idea.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 12:25:47 pm »

children harvest.

Given some of the things that I've seen around here, the thread's topic is not what came to mind when I read this. ^_^

I tend to use Dwarf Manager [or something, I haven't played in a while] to give children the tasks their parents do. Apprenticeship!
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 01:58:42 pm »

Personally, I usually don't make the children in my fortresses do much work, if only because I tend to be really inefficient and have more adults than jobs anyway.
When I noticed I have too many idle dwarves I decide to be "sloppy", I make decisions based more on the spur of the moment, designate things without concern for dwarven lives. (ie if a dwarf walls himself in by accident, I let him starve).
As such the stupid adults slowly die in a process of natural selection until the idler count has been whittled down enough. Enough to allow for growth of the fortress but not enough to cause an unemployment problem. Children, who don't add to the count, as such my 230 dwarf fortress is composed out of a total of roughly 100 children, 30 fortress/royal guard, 20 military dwarves and a workforce of 90 dwarves.
Pages: 1 [2]