Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Portentous Domain - How hard can it possibly be?  (Read 1176 times)

krukef

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Portentous Domain - How hard can it possibly be?
« on: December 16, 2009, 11:33:15 pm »

Having abandoned the last three megaprojects I've been working on while the fortresses were more or less getting by just fine, I've come to realize perhaps I need a break from such grand undertakings. No more cleverly trapped behemoth fortresses where everyone live in abundance. No more painstaking planning or exhaustive searches for the perfect fort location. Time to get down and dirty.

So, my plan: I'm going to use the site finder set on High for savagery and evil, Low for temperature and just take whatever it presents me with.

Then I'm going to embark with 0 points spent (picks are for sissies) and do a hermit, killing off everyone except one. (Shouldn't be hard considering where I'll be embarking.)

To make it a bit challenging, I've modded in ogres, werewolves, treants and giants as civilizations, which will attack based on my production. (Oo, guess where I ripped off that combination of civs)

No caging or weapon/stone fall traps must be used; no levers or pressure plates that trigger on units, and in order to make it somewhat fair on for the invaders, no kinds of walling myself in either.

Megabeasts are modded to be size 50, increasing their survivability during world-gen and making them more beautiful in general.

Ok, I noticed this might be a bit on the hard side, so I decided to mod in an extra race of elves. An extra elven caravan in the winter will help.

Then I shall chronicle the futile attempts of wildlife and goblins to deal with my hardy Urist McBalls. Yeah, I think I just found the name of my protagonist.

Well, my world has been generated - aptly named The Portentous Domain. The site finder sure didn't take long satisfying my requirements. I'm off to a freezing, terrifying freshwater marsh called The Ruthless Murk. Yep, that biome fills my entire 5x5 embark square. Let the Fun start as I strike the earth at "Romanticabbey"......... well, the striking must wait for a bit.

krukef

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Portentous Domain - How hard can it possibly be?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 12:58:56 am »

1st Granite, 281, Early Spring
------------------------------

As long as the eye can see there is... well, not much of anything. Sure, there are trees and snow covered shrubbery

everwhere, but there is no mountain. Not even a hill. Not even a single stone. Let me repeat that: The entire

landscape is utterly and completely flat.

It is also eerily silent. Well, the horse and the mule pulling this wagon seem to be at their limit so I guess this

is where our new great dwarven stronghold will be. Time to wake up the peasants that paid for this trip!

3rd Granite
-----------

"Urist McBalls has been quite content lately. He has lost an annoying acquantance to tragedy recently. He has been

satisfied at work recently."

After the initial shock of realizing we are in the middle of a flat, snow-covered wasteland, the peasants have been

scouring the area for food. They didn't find any. Instead something seems to have found us. A group of three hideous

harpies are watching us from the distance. One of the particularily stupid peasants has decided to hunt them.

Unfortunately his hunting tools consists of his bare hands and a complete lack of fighting ability.

15th Granite
------------

After almost two weeks of peasants trying to eat/being eaten by harpies, I seem to be the only one left. I've kept

myself busy trying to see if I can't for the love of god find at least ONE edible plant. Not because I'm dying of

hunger yet, but I'm DYING to brew myself a drink...

20th Granite
------------

I found a prickle berry!

2nd Slate
---------
After much labor I have managed to convert my wagon into a still and a barrel. Time to make myself a drink. Ahh....

7th Slate
---------

Just when I think that it might actually be possible to survive in this wasteland, even finding myself some

strawberries, a freaking snowstorm comes. It's mid spring!!! What is this place?

12th Slate
----------

I just realized that after one and a half month, my entire glorious dwarven fortress consists of a still and one

barrel of booze.

9th Felsite
-----------

After running from a harpy for, I kid you not, FOUR DAYS, they gave up and/or decided my horse looked a lot tastier.

Good, then I can go back to my paradise of frozen vegetable hunting. Does anyone have any idea how it is to only eat

food that must be thawed in the mouth before it can be chewed?

20th Felsite
------------

My horse is fine by the way. That old bugger can actually move pretty fast after all. Too bad I already disassembled

the wagon...

1st Hematite
------------

It is now summer. My ass it is. I just fell asleep decorating the local never-thawing ice. Trust me, you do not want

to experience waking up in the middle of the summer freezing to death on a permanently frozen lake.

6th Hematite
------------

Holy balls, I was just etching in the story of my life on the ice when boom, it broke.

Urist McBalls drowned at Romanticabbey. Survived for 3 months and 6 days.

--------

Ok, so my experiences: I didn't realize in advance that I would die of thirst unless I spent one of my 3 "depot" making wood from the wagon to make a barrel to brew myself a drink. Dying from drowning was stupid. I just wanted to do one engraving before it thawed :<

I shall try again. I'm using the function so ironically named "Find desired location". It gave me an almost identical location, in the same Ruthless Marsh, except this time my fortress is called Pulleyrose. I may disagree with that being desired.

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 01:25:35 am »

Good luck man.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 08:11:18 am »

If you die quickly again, try a medium savage map.  Less harpies, more undead polar bears.

krukef

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 03:19:51 pm »

I tried a few more times. Urist McBalls V was a legendary herbalist and skilled wrestler that could take on two harpies unarmed. She survived for over a year before finally becoming fed up running from the ever present beak dogs and decided to fight one. Apparently, they should not be wrestled by a dress-wearing nature girl.

Zeffrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 06:23:31 pm »

This is interesting...more?
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 11:49:05 pm »

Any particular trick in not having the survivor go insane from grief?  I just tried this, and chose a dwarf with only two friends.  Went berserk soon after everyone died.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 02:27:28 am »

Any particular trick in not having the survivor go insane from grief?  I just tried this, and chose a dwarf with only two friends.  Went berserk soon after everyone died.

Isolate the friends until they are passing..?