Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarf Liason offering Sand?  (Read 3253 times)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Liason offering Sand?
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2009, 01:23:04 pm »

Could download the mod that makes some stone  magma resistnat, especially alunite.

Anyway, your fort looks tiny, what map are you playing on 6x6?
And how far in does your fort go into the mountain

Yes, it's 6x6. My Fort is mostly inside the mountain, but even so, it occupies only the South-West quadrant of the map... North is to the right in that picture.
Never pet a burning dog.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2009, 08:20:15 pm »

You could try building a farm off of it, but that might not work since you can't build other constructions on top of floors.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2009, 09:23:30 pm »

Have you tried building it as a wall and then designating the top of the wall for sand collection?
Might work
The top of the wall reads as "Rough Sand Block Floor".
Never pet a burning dog.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2009, 09:55:33 pm »

Tried dropping water on it yet?
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2009, 10:05:57 pm »

Tried dropping water on it yet?

Nope... I was also thinking of building a floor out of it, collapsing a (natural) level onto it, then digging it out again.
Never pet a burning dog.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2009, 10:45:27 pm »

The game cares about RAW files in some ways and doesn't care in others once a world is genned, so you wouldn't really expect to find any evidence of this world's geological kinks in your RAWs.

I was also thinking of building a floor out of it, collapsing a (natural) level onto it, then digging it out again.

That'll be tricky to work out, I think. Unless you know exactly how many levels the cave-in will punch through, you'll probably need a pillar of sand to make sure one of them ends up being the surface it stops at.

Sadly, I don't see any reason to think the game actually considers this stone in any way related to the soil of the same name. It's worth a try to see what happens, but the odds of it working are pretty much nil.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2009, 01:04:22 pm »

Toady made a half-hearted attempt to allow caravans to import stone awhile back.
If this game has gone through like 30 versions since then, I'm not surprised that the failed stone blocks are still around.

The imported sand could never be used for glass though.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2009, 04:03:07 pm »

The imported sand could never be used for glass though.

I certainly haven't managed to do so. I've almost given it up for now... distracted by the arrival of my naked Queen, and the need to get my Magma Smelters and Forges running to equip my Military.
Never pet a burning dog.

Pages: 1 2 [3]