Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Growable Trees Mod  (Read 1984 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Growable Trees Mod
« on: August 30, 2008, 09:41:35 pm »

I recently realised that, with the new plant tokens, creating growable trees was possible. I tried this a long time ago but it didn't work well at the time. So, heres a mod that lets you grow trees in a farm.

It allows you to grow all tree types as plants, and then convert them to the appropriate wood + 2 seeds in the smelter. All tree-plants have appropriate (What I see as appropriate, anyway) colors, tiles, and seed names.

They all take 2 years to grow, so plant them early. Also note that the smelter reactions use 1 stack, so each tile you plant is effectively 1 tree no matter how good your growers are. I advise custom stockpiles that accept only the tree-plants and don't allow barrels, as smelters have problems detecting plants in barrels. You can still issue a manager order if they're in barrels, but you can't do it manually.

The trees only grow in appropriate biomes.
Trees by biome (some are in multiple biomes):

Temperate: Pine, Cedar, Oak, Maple, Willow, Larch, Chestnut, Alder, Birch, Ash
Tropical: Pine, Cedar, Mahogany, Acacia, Kapok, Willow, Candlenut, Mango, Rubber, Cacao, Palm
Wetland: Mangrove
Desert: Saguaro
Taiga: Larch
Underground: Tower-cap

The good/evil trees are growable in appropriately good/evil areas. Highwood (the Savage tree) seems to be growable anywhere, even though it has a [SAVAGE] tag. I guess that doesn't work for plants? Whip vines in the unmodified raws have the same issue.

Download the mod here.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
Re: Growable Trees Mod
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 09:53:47 pm »

Ooooo....very cool. I'll download it after I get the new version.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 01:06:28 am »

Here comes the easy solution of the glacier problem :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 09:42:06 pm »

Has anyone gotten this mod to work? 

I was able to buy the seeds for the farmable trees from caravans, but they didn't come up as a choice on my aboveground farm plots.  I thought maybe it was because I had none of the plants on hand.  I tried harvesting every wild plant on my map and found none of the timber plants.  I also could not buy any.  When I checked the raws, I found that the frequency is set to 0, as is the cluster size.  At that point I made some plants by smelter reactions so I would have some of the plant on hand when I tried to plant the trees.  I still can't plant any of the seeds, though.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 01:25:13 am »

I don't use this mod but I do have a similar personal mod that works pretty much the same way. It probably has something to do with the Frequency and cluster size (I use Frequency 100 Cluster size 1) or with some syntax error I can't spot because I'm tired and need to go to bed.

It might also be Biome related or there is a some kind of bug that prevents you from growing certain plants until you see one (either purchased through the caravans or found growing wild).

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 07:00:25 pm »

The biome statements match the ones for the trees, more or less.  Sometimes they are more general, as in ANY_TROPICAL rather than a specific tropical biome.  I have the real trees growing so I should have been able to grow the timber crop if it was going to work. 

I've now converted my timber plants back into logs and seeds, and I will probably just convert the smelter reactions to make seeds from seeds so I can cook acorns, chestnuts, and pine nuts for a lark.  It would have been nice to farm the trees, but changing the frequency and cluster size retroactively didn't seem to do anything.  I'm in the middle of building for a pyramid challange so I'm not going to regen the world right now. 

Heck, with all these non-obtainable plants I can even edit the display text and have squash seeds, celery seeds, and sesame seeds.   :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.